Menu
benraf80
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Quick start tv and broadband set up LEAD TOO SHORT

I recently had Virgin TV and Broadband set up, but the lead supplied to go from the wall socket to the splitter is far too short! Does anyone know if VIRGIN can supply a longer lead so I can reach the other side of my lounge? I'm guessing a short lead was supplied so I will have to pay for a longer one...

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Quick start tv and broadband set up LEAD TOO SHORT

Assuming your install was by Virgin Media, you had the opportunity then to have co-ax points placed where you wanted them.

If you did a QuickStart install, only short cables are supplied.

In either case, you will need to contract Virgin Media to make this change which may involve signal level changes outside your home.

There is a £99 charge for this service.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
benraf80
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The wall socket was already installed, we just received all the pre made leads in a box that was posted out, so I did not have any opportunity to ask for them to be installed in the correct place....still chargeable?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Call it in you may blag one for free.

What are you connecting on it - a Hub or a TV box?

Note that adding substantially longer cables can mean the signal levels may need adjusting by a Tech visit - hence the auto-charge. Worth blagging it out with them.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

will add what i believe to be true - the quick start kit is a get you going thing but its not cast in stone even if it works - ring them and just say it does not work - dont go into detail - if they say its showing as working just say [again] its faulty - they should send out a tech to sort it - the tech will then either move the box or supply a longer cable

but you need to do that asap assuming you have just got the quick start kit - push the faulty line - does not work and the tech should be free - leave it and they will look to charge you £99

Tony
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Note however that if an engineer does attend to connect up your service, they may add a "Manned installation fee" to your next bill. By default this isn't included with Quickstart installations as you do the installation yourself. This fee will be about £35.