cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions before joining - Router compatibility + limits.

willabeast
Joining in

Hi there, I'm trying to find out information from customer services @ Virgin consumer broadband but getting absolutely nowhere with the support team who don't seem to understand some fairly basic networking questions, considering they are the customer services for the Sales line for an ISP I'm quite shocked at their lack of basic knowledge, even if you had broadband yourself you'd probably know what I was talking about. Please could someone verify and answer these questions for me.

Service I want: 256Mb fibre, seems to be called broadband solus. £32/M.

1. I need to use my own Draytek 2860n router, I wanted to confirm that the router Virgin provide will be compatible, I.E. can run in passthrough mode with no routing functions so I can simply connect to WAN port on my Draytek router. The first lady had to speak to the manager, she returned and said it was not possible to do this. Once I spoke to the same manager, he mumbled something along the lines of the engineer will have to visit to verify??? I need to use this router so if this isn't possible I won't be using Virgin so it's quite important they know these details.

2. Are there any download/upload limits imposed through an acceptable use policy or is it truly unlimited? The lady did not know this either and didn't understand the difference between broadband speeds and download/upload units of data. Is there an acceptable use policy as I can't seem to find one and I'm a heavy user.

3. I won't have access to the property where this broadband will be going in until the 29th August as it's a new tenancy, as Virgin has never been installed there before will they need access before this date? Again the manager couldn't really answer this and mumbled something about the engineer visiting at some time?

I've set the date for the 2nd September for installation, will the engineer be able to do all works in and around the property on this day?

Appreciate response, kind regards,

Will

14 REPLIES 14

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All VM hubs at present can run in Modem Mode (Bridge). It’s all I’ve ever used in many years with VM.  As for Draytek, that’s what I’m using now and previously as well. So that’s all good.

I believe there are no restrictions to broadband usage, or throttling. 

As for the installation, I’ve no idea. There are many threads here of delays, so a backup 4G SIM solution may be a good idea. Some of the Draytek’s support this. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

you have just seen the sum knowledge of VM customer support - yours was not a unique experience but perfectly normal for the offshore people employed by VM - expect nothing and you will not be dissapointed

so a question back to you - are you totally sure you want to join VM and be subject to the world class rubbish of CS if something goes wrong

its fair to say when it works it fine .................... BUT!

Tony.
Sacked VIP

carl_pearce
Community elder
  1. All HUBs, with the exception of the HUB 5x currently, have a modem mode so yes, just plug into WAN port on the Draytek once in this mode.
  2. No, truly unlimited.

3.Outside work no (first appointment), second appointment yes. Having said that I would suggest being           available for both as there are some horror stories about the quality of the work done. Unsure if you genuinely will only have one appointment for all the work needed.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ahh, apologies, @carl_pearce  is correct. I had forgotten about the Hub5X ! Maybe they will fix the firmware in due course for Modem mode……. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

There is no such thing as truly unlimited as no ISP will stand idly by if customers are complaining of poor broadbrand caused by a few users' massive downloads.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

carl_pearce
Community elder

OK, OK:

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/unlimited

What is unlimited broadband?

Unlimited broadband is a broadband service that doesn’t have any restrictions on how much data you can download and upload each month. You’ll have complete freedom to use the internet as much as you like without having to worry about monthly data usage limits on your account.

What is traffic management and throttling?

Traffic management is when broadband speeds are lowered to make sure everyone gets a fair speed overall. This usually comes into effect at peak times. It is a bit like rationing. Everyone gets slightly slower speeds, instead of the extremes where some would end up getting slower speeds – or no internet at all. Traffic management can also be applied to individual lines to protect the services and speeds for other broadband users on the network.

Throttling is when your internet service is slowed down on purpose. This could be because the network is overloaded and you notice it occasionally when streaming services all of a sudden take a little longer to load.

At Virgin Media we make sure our home broadband service is fair for everybody. We sometimes moderate the speeds for the top 5% of customers who are downloading or uploading an unusually large amount. We do this to try to make sure the service runs as smoothly as possible.

What are fair usage limits?

Unlimited broadband packages usually come with a fair usage policy. These are put in place to prevent one person on a network from downloading too much and having a detrimental affect on other users in the area.

Regular levels of streaming and downloading will probably not constitute as unfair usage, so most of us will not encounter these limitations. Check with individual internet providers to see what they constitute as fair usage, and what will happen if the terms are breached.

I imagine you have to download/upload a huge amount of data to be in the top 5%.

willabeast
Joining in

cheers all, is it worth going the business route, it's the same price roughly but faster and you get a static IP? I assume the business router is probably the same and supports passthrough too?

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

For VMB there is a router not a hub, an SLA, statc IP addresses for servers or services that require external access from the Internet. No TV. The broadband is provided over the same cables and cabinets as residential.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Just to clear up one point, you said you want 256Mb fibre.  Except in a few small areas, Virginmedia connections are fibre to the cabinet and coax to the house/office. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.