Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Q: Ground and 1st floor installation

Hi, 

Hope this is the correct board for this query. 

Engineer will be arriving next week to install Ultimate Oomph Package with the two V6 boxes. Wall box was fitted today. Plan is for a box in the living room (bottom left window) and bedroom (top right window). Downstairs should be easy but house has just been painted and not keen to have a dark wire going from box across the front of the house.

Should the engineer be able to/willing to run cable vertically up from box, tuck it underneath roof eaves or in guttering, and then across to the side wall to access bedroom? You can see where the old Satellite cable enters bedroom about half way up side wall. Not sure what engineers are allowed to do or how flexible they are to requests.

Thanks everyone

Paul 20200826_150227 (4).jpg

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Q: Ground and 1st floor installation

The small problem you have is that installers only have short ladders to allow them to access the first floor. They are not trained or insured to work up to roof level. The only route I would suggest is to go along toward the front door & then up the frame around the porch roof.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Looks like you have a gravel run between walls and the path/patio - does that exend around past the front door to the side wall? If so they should be able to run the second cable under the gravel to the point where you want it to go up the wall - say between those other 2 boxes. You could always paint over the black cable later or run some neutral coloured conduit up the wall to conceal it

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Hero
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Another option is a 3-way split of the coaxial cable in the living room with one leg being run internally to the bedroom. This will require drilling through the ceiling. One benefit is that the same hole can be used to run an Ethernet cable for the V6 and any other devices, e.g. a WAP or a games controller.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Crossing the front door will probably be the simplest solution, and as has been pointed out the cable can be painted to match the wall. Can see the logic behind the 3 way split but the TV's will be at opposite sides of the house and i'd like to keep internal wiring to a minimum where possible. Thanks for the responses everyone! I'll post an update when the work is completed 

20200826_171727 (7).jpg

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Paul, what was the outcome. Did they install at height?

0 Kudos