Menu
ZoologyDave
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Providing internet before delayed installation

VM were supposed to set up internet on the 26th January but didn't, and I've just been told they won't do so until the 18th Feb (no explanation for the delay, no apology, no compensation). This obviously means I cannot work from home, but equally obviously, we're in a pandemic and so I cannot go to work. How is Virgin going to provide me with internet until they get round to the installation? I would have chosen another provider if Virgin had been upfront with how long it was going to take to get me online, and I am in a serious bind now as I need to lecture online as well as the usual meetings etc.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Providing internet before delayed installation

In order to WFH you will have to use your phone as hotspot or sign up for mobile broadband temporarily, I too was in this situation in December, the likely issue with such a delayed date is there is probably additional work required to connect your home to Virgin Media network, these works can take time as permission from local council and also survey work will be required.

These sort of issues can't be anticipated until the installation day comes and there is no cables to hook up too or a problem.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
ZoologyDave
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately hotspotting isn't good enough for lecturing online, so that doesn't work, but thanks! 

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@ZoologyDave wrote:

Unfortunately hotspotting isn't good enough for lecturing online, so that doesn't work, but thanks! 

Have you tried ???

I'm able to do a lot using my 4G... a lot more than my Virgin connection currently manages.

Maybe I can help you find a solution, or I'm afraid you may well be taking some leave from lecturing.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If your broadband is that important, you should have a backup like 4G available even after your connection is completed.

Virgin Media is a residential service and not designed for business use. You can use it working from home, but when faults occur there is no guaranteed response time for repair. 

You might like to consider a Virgin Business connection which has a contractual SLA.