Menu
RTUK
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Project Lightning - East Whitburn, Blackburn & Seafield West Lothian

Any news on in-filling the gaps in West Lothian? Specifically around East Whitburn, Blackburn & Seafield

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 20.08.30.png

There's a pretty significant gap in coverage where the network has expanded and surrounded Blackburn & Seafield, I've seen quite a bit of interest from people in the area for faster broadband yet there appear to be no plans.

We've already encouraged people to register for Cable My Street but that never seems to go anywhere.

There's a market of around 6,000 houses which are sitting right on the edge of existing network coverage with no alternative ultrafast networks available - pretty much a captive audience.

I believe there's also existing infrastructure running along Redhouse Road from Livingston which was never used, it was installed by Telewest many years ago.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Project Lightning - East Whitburn, Blackburn & Seafield West Lothian

Hi RTUK,

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to see we have not yet cabled your area. 

As far as I am aware there are no current projects on the go for this at the moment. 

Best thing to do is; pop your postcode in the postcode box at the top of the page here https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband.htmlIf broadband services are not available there will be a form to fill in which will go to ac team who will keep you updated on the services available in your area.

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
RTUK
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I notice that the east Whitburn section of the map I posted earlier now has expansion works scheduled in through the end of this year which bring the network to the rest of Whitburn & East Whitburn, planned works appear to stop before reaching Blackburn.

Are there any plans to then bring the network into Blackburn (middle area of the map highlighted) and Seafield?

Thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi RTUK, 

Thank you for getting back in touch. 

It is great to hear there has been some expansion work in the area but I am sorry to hear it has not reached you yet. 

I am afraid we have not got any updates in regards to the work heading towards Blackburn but we are working our way over.  The progress is a great sign and we do hope to be with you as soon as possible. 

Thanks 

Nat
Rds261189
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Your rightly So, the rest of Whitburn is getting cabled as we speak from Redmill, whole of East Whitnurn and the whole East side of Whiburn from Whitburn Cross this work has been done extremely fast and should be on network and live within the next couple of months or less.  Also expansion work happening up blaberyhill road up to gleneagles.  Certain areas of whitburn have been left out on expansion including Mansewood in Whitburn and going to the very top of blaberryhill road and all the dixon new estate area and heartlands too but this is not to say they will get expanded in time.  Ive not heard anything about blackburn getting expanded as that would fill the gap in from not only the Bathgate end but also the Seafield end but only time will tell.  If you keep an eye on roadworks.org that usually gives you the proper info on whats happening where and when.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
RTUK
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I’m definitely keeping an eye on it. Seems that in addition to the rest of Whitburn there’s more focus on Bathgate again with expansion covering the west side towards Armadale and Whitside. 

Fingers crossed after that infill targets Blackburn & Seafield. Would be a bit crap if they then continued outwards away from us to other surrounding areas.

On a Similar note Openreach appear to looking at FTTP for our exchange area so that might happen first.

Whoever gets here first with ultrafast coverage though will have the benefit of a captive market in the area. There’s a lot of interest from the community.

0 Kudos
Rds261189
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I see what you mean with them going west towards armadale from bathgate and heading down to were layland used to be.  I think blackburn and seafield will be next as that would complete the gap going west towards shotts.  I would expect something to happen within blackburn and seafield before the end of the year or beginning of next year as virgin will want to beat openreach for the FTTP.  Alot of people in whitburn and alot of people in east whitburn cant wait for the network to go live and the company Diona who are doing the works are more quicker than what mcnicolas done a cople of years ago up the west end of whitburn.  Fingers crossed your area will get covered mate but im defo sure it will be in the planning scope.

0 Kudos