Menu
DomW1990
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Problems logging into work VPN

Morning all

For the past month I've been unable to access my work VPN.  I keep getting the error shown below.  I have a Hub 3.0, for reference.

I went through various different fixes with the IT manager at my work, all to no avail.  I've tried disabling "Block fragmented IP packets" and "IP flood detection" on the firewall too - s per the suggestion of another website - but that hasn't worked either.  My work firewall provider have said that this is a client side (i.e. Virgin) issue, and have provided a firewall log showing that my device connects to the VPN, but then automatically disconnects for some reason.  The issue started randomly, rather than after an update at my work etc., which suggests that this might be a Virgin network issue.

However, when I phoned Virgin a couple of days ago they said there weren't any settings at their end they could change, and that I'd have to talk to my work again.  Either that or phone Virgin Gadget Rescue, which will incur a charge.

Has anyone experienced this before and does anyone know what I might be able to do to fix the issue?  I feel trapped because my work don't seem to be able to do anything, and Virgin say there's nothing they can do either...

Thanks for any help you can offer!

vpn error.png 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Montieous
Joining in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems logging into work VPN

Picture is still loading so I can't see the error yet, but have you tried connecting to your work VPN on the same device but with a different internet connection, e.g. mobile phone 4g connection tethered to laptop?

0 Kudos
DomW1990
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, the image basically has an error message that reads "The network connection between your computer and the VPN srver could not be established because the remote server is not responding.  This could be because one of the network devices (e.g. firewalls, NAT, routers etc) between your computer and the remote server is not configured to allow VPN connections.  Please contact your Administrator or your service provider to determine which device may be causing the problem". 

In answer to your question, I can connect to the VPN when I tether my laptop to my phone's 4G network, yes.  

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Are you using the hub in router mode or modem mode?

If you are using router mode, then you could change the configuration to put the hub into modem mode, and then connect your laptop directly to the hub 3 via an ethernet cable. Once you have internet access you could then try again to see if you could connect to your works VPN. Note however that your laptop should be the only device connected to the hub3 and it should be in position 1. WiFi will not be available from the hub during the time you are doing this and you should also ensure that your laptop has a firewall installed. 

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That is fairly standard generic Windows error message which doesn't actually tell you what's wrong. Ordinarily, I'd say first check that you can properly resolve the endpoint address and run a trace route to it to rule out a DNS or routing issue - but, you say your works IT claim that the connection gets established and then drops - which, if true means that you are getting there OK but there's something else it doesn't like.

If you have it enabled on your VM account, you might want to try disabling the web safe provision, this can, depending on the type of VPN being used (and there are quite a few), cause weird and unexpected results.

By the way, whatever you do don't be tempted to use the 'Gadget Rescue' provision, you'll get charged and the possibility of them fixing something like this is close to zero

0 Kudos
DomW1990
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello, thanks for this.  Yeah, I've tried both router and modem mode to no avail 😞

0 Kudos
DomW1990
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this, have tried with web safe disabled, still no luck 😞

0 Kudos
DomW1990
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Work have offered to provide a new Surface Pro, so might just have to see if that works...

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK, as we are kinda running out of ideas, as you've have tried different VM IP addresses which typically rules out blocking that may occur on one of them.

If you can access it over a tethered connection it suggests that the OS on your laptop is OK, but I suppose it could be dependent on the actual connection. 

Have you tried to connect over WiFi? As this would be regarded as a different network to ethernet.

0 Kudos
Montieous
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried turning off the "Advanced Error Search"?

https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/settings

0 Kudos