cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre installation issues

Kezzerb77
Tuning in

Back in April I was told by VM that it would be possible to install their services at my address. The first installation date was booked for 16th may, I then received an email changing this to 18th July!! A delay of 2 months! I appreciate that there is work to be done to install VM but the delays I am incurring are just ridiculous! Trying to get someone to confirm the actual issue had just been impossible.

the next date booked was 18th July, surprise surprise that didn’t happen. Many phone calls later and I’ve Been told on 2 different occasions in the last week that the cable pull “will be done today” and it still isn’t happening. Today they’ve told me that there is a “ducting” blockage preventing the work from being done. This is apparently outside a house 3 doors down from me. The girl on the phone can’t tell me exactly what this means or when it’s going to be resolved, apparently the team are due out again today which quite frankly I don’t believe. The next install date is booked for 5th august, I don’t have any faith that this is actually going to happen. Getting to speak to someone that can take charge of this situation is impossible. The incompetence of this company to have clear communication is unreal 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Read this topic from earlier today where there are some explanations and suggestions about VM's bungling

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Virgin-delayed-installation-appointment-d...

In the meantime, put in place some backup measures to keep you connected while you wait for VM and keep notes as you go along to ensure you are paid the correct compensation at the end of the process.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Kezzerb77,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to see you have been having this issue with your Install, I can see that you have spoke to the team since this post, were they able to provide you any further information with regards to your issue?

Joe

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Read this topic from earlier today where there are some explanations and suggestions about VM's bungling

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Virgin-delayed-installation-appointment-d...

In the meantime, put in place some backup measures to keep you connected while you wait for VM and keep notes as you go along to ensure you are paid the correct compensation at the end of the process.

The person I spoke to today has apparently emailed the team to see what the problem is, so I will be calling back again tomorrow to see if there is an update. I’ve literally been told everyday that the cable pull is being done and when that has happened I get told oh it’s happening tomorrow, day in day out. It’s not acceptable to not properly update your customers and to keep fobbing them off, I’ve never known a company like it!! I believe this is being “case managed” what does this mean, has this been logged as a complaint, I have asked a couple of times now to make a complaint and I’m unsure if this has actually been done! I would like to know the exact reason for the delays, not just be fobbed off with false promises of the cable pull being done “today”. It is soul destroying having to chase this on a daily basis

To be honest, the person you spoke to, probably hasn’t emailed ‘the team’, and even if they did the chances of them getting any sort of response is vanishingly small. I can absolutely guarantee you that when you call back tomorrow, the story will be the usual ‘it’ll definitely be happening today’. Now despite what you might think, this isn’t actually a deliberate lie - the truth is that VM outsource all of this work to third parties, fair enough, except once done, VM simply forgot all about it. They, and by extension the poor soul you are speaking to, quite literally has no idea when or even if the work will be done.

A fully automated system, simply recognises that the job hasn’t been marked as completed and moves the date on by a day - that’s what is shown on the CS person’s screen and that’s all they can tell you. Frankly you might just as well consult some chicken entrails - it won’t be any less accurate!

OK moving on, this is being ‘case managed’, and you would like to know what this means? It means nothing at all, just something they made up, or possibly a real thing but gives no practical help whatsoever. Like ‘emailing the team’, it is intended as a method of getting you off the phone ASAP so they can move on.

Now, I’ll take a punt and suggest the real and actual reason for the delay; there is indeed a blockage in an underground ducting which is preventing them getting the cable to you. The contractors would possibly need to dig the pavement up to find and clear it, and that requires Council permissions etc, which can be done in a matter of days, but it’s probably far more lucrative for them to put your job on the proverbial back burner and concentrate on someone else’s connection, for which they can get paid with less effort!

Sucks to be you, really, and what’s more, because of the system VM have decided to put in place, even they will be blissfully ignorant of any of this, hence the ‘rest assured it will be done today’ - type responses!

Soul destroying to chase this on a daily basis? Yes I’m sure it is, so why do it? You absolutely will not get any meaningful answers, you can chase this every day from today until the day you die and it’ll make absolutely no difference; they simply can’t help you! Your connection will happen when and if, their contractors get around to it, not before, and there is absolutely nothing that VM can do to expedite it.

Making a compliant, well sounds like progress, but actually achieves nothing. Make as many complaints as you like; nothing will happen, other than you might be given a pointless complain number which it you try to track will probably find simply vanishes as if it never existed, or be ‘resolved’ via some means involving sentences which are obviously almost but not entirely written by someone who understands English and which has only a passing resemblance to the crux of your complaint!

So what do you do? Well firstly start investigating alternative suppliers, what can they offer, what prices? Make notes of every communication you have had with VM, what was said, what was promised, what actually happened. Do a bit of research, contact your local authority and ask them if any permits for street works have been applied for in your road in the past few months. A common excuse given on here is that the issue is ‘needing local Authority permissions’ with an implied implication that the local Council have been slow to do this - often though, a check with said authority has revealed that no such permissions have even been applied for, because as mentioned earlier, the contractors simply, can’t be bothered and are doing something else. So if you check, find that no permissions have even been applied for but this is given as an reason for the delay, then you’ll know that you are simply being fobbed off; no?

OK set yourself a deadline, lets’ say end of the month - if nothing has happened by then; simply sign up with an alternative provided, but don’t cancel the VM install. The logic works like this; you were promised an install date of 16th May (do you have this in writing)? Now under the OFCOM Code of Conduct which VM agreed to follow, you are entitled to compensation of a little under £6 per day from then, until the install happens - and this is true even if you cancel!

So sign up with another supplier, don’t bother to contact VM, there’s no point, think about the compensation racking up! Eventually they connect you up, you test the connection and then cancel it under the 14 day cooling off period - and you can still claim the compensation!

Now, admittedly, they’ll decline to pay you, citing some oddball reason - no worries, you make a formal complaint, that will also be ignored or fobbed off, and which point you wait the required eight weeks and escalate it to the Ombudsman Service for independent adjudication. In your claim you ask for the full amount of compensation plus an extra, say £50-£100 for the poor complaint handling etc.

Hi Kezzerb77,

Thanks for posting, and sorry for the delays with your install.

So I can ensure there is a complaint raise and assigned to the correct team I've popped you over a private message.

Alex_Rm

Thanks so much for your reply! My other options are extremely limited hence my perseverance with VM but I will definitely be looking into it. Your comments have been really helpful with regards to the council permissions I shall look into that. Really appreciate you taking the time time to comment 👍🏻

Managed to get a little more info today and she’s sending an installations manager to see me tomorrow, let’s hope he turns up!! 

Kezzerb77
Tuning in

So the installation guy turned up yesterday, he rang a manager at avonline and was told they they would be coming today to do the outside work. Lulled into a false sense of security I was hopeful today would bring some progress, alas it hasn’t been done. No one seems to be able to help me, I appreciate that the work is outsourced but the continual loop of “it’s being done today” or “it’s being done tomorrow” is insane! Other than the pre install and cancellation team, is there anyway to take this further?! 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Kezzerb77, 

Thank you for updating the thread. 

We apologise for any delays with the work required. 

I can see you are currently speaking with my colleague via private message. If you pop them over a message they will be happy to assist further. 

Thanks, 

Nat