Menu
sava1991
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Pre-Installtion Engineer

Hello,

Could somebody advise if I can get a pre-installation engineer to visit to assess my flat for drilling etc.? During Covid-19.

I rent a flat and Virgin came to this area just recently,maybe 6-8 months ago.

I have BT Openreach socket with my current provider , but my question is - can they use the same wires or they have to change the whole thing? According to Virgin they own their own network..

Thanks in advance for your answers.

0 Kudos
Kippies
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Pre-Installtion Engineer

They have to install their own stuff.

Unless you are on the ground floor, I doubt it will happen during lockdown.

0 Kudos
sava1991
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you!

I actually live on the ground floor, however I'm not sure what they have to do.
My question is more about wiring ,rather then socket. Wires are quite hidden here after refurbishment that landlord did before we moved in..
0 Kudos
Kippies
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A coax cable goes from the property to the kerbside drop point (wee manhole cover marked CATV)

Then a cable comes into the property from the outside box, terminating in a surface mounted wallpoint.

Any internal cabling needed will be visible unless you hide it yourseld- one coax line to HUB, another to Tivo V6 if you want that, and a CAT5E cable between the two where possible.

0 Kudos
Poodlekeeper
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My house is the end of a terrace of 5, all 4 of my neighbours have Virgin Media,  10ft from my house is a CATV manhole cover (closer to me than all the others) but Virgin say I cannot have their service???

In March 2019 when I bought a TV from Currys they arranged for an engineer to visit and he said it was not a problem - sadly I didnt go ahead then and have regretted it since - but why is it not possible now?

I need an engineer to visit again and feel sure it is possible, I do not mind paying either - I just need it as I cannot have a sky dish.

Does anyone know how to arrange this as I have spent hours on fruitless calls and emails  

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Before installing, I'd talk to your neighbours about their services, it may be that there is no spare capacity at the local cabinet to connect more people. It used to be that VM just didn't care and connected as many people as possible (giving them all really poor service) but now they seem to cutting back on that a bit and declining new customer if the capacity isn't there. 

0 Kudos
Poodlekeeper
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My 4 immediate neighbours all report excellent services, and just over a year ago a visiting engineer told me a connection would be fine - I just want to know how to get him back ! 

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Poodlekeeper 

If you can private message me your full address with postcode i'll take a look into this for you.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Poodlekeeper
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I need help please!

This site (Christie) magically confirmed Dec 15th  I could have Virgin cable tv etc and put me onto a sales guy Karl who signed me up for everything I wanted - good service!

They told me I could get connected indoors on 24th December - great, unbelievable in time for Christmas - I was so happy!!!

Engineer came on xmas eve as planned but nobody at Virgin had told him the cable from the manhole needed to be brought to the house - so ofcourse he could not do the job, but he called his boss right away and on 28th December a construction team arrived, looked down the hole, agreed the cable must be installed to the house and promised completion within 2 weeks - never happened and nobody returned.

My only contact was Karl from sales who I called on 15th January, he was sorry and arranged for all matters to be completed right away and an installation engineer booked for 25th January, as nobody showed up for the exterior work I called Karl twice who said it was all in hand - but on 25th January the engineer arrived as expected but the cable work was still not done so he could not help me!

What the heck is so difficult here?

So I called good old Karl again who promised it was all now on track and we booked an installation engineer for 19th February, but on 17th Feb I called Karl again as the cable work had not been done, he must have ruffled some feathers as I got a couple of emails saying the cable work was being done early on 19th ahead of the engineer due here at 1pm - I got a phone call at 17.40 on 18th Feb saying they were not able to do the cable as planned - nobody knew why and apart from a lame sorry did'nt seem to care much anyway.

Now they say it will mid March before they do the work - which is bringing the existing cable from the manhole (10ft from my house) - and if i had any other options I would take them, sadly I do not.

I have lived here for 2 years and previously the house had a cable connection but during an extension it was taken back to the manhole where it remains.

This is a rather pathetic scenario for Virgin, especially as originally they emphatically told me it was impossible to have cable to my house, hardly likely when the manhole is in my lawn and all of my neighbours have their service.

My only ambition is to get connected without any further silly delays - can anyone help me please?

Keith

Virgin account [REMOVED] area 20

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos