Menu
dave1064
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Pre-Install not turning up.

Had a pre-install visit booked and they left as they couldnt find the grey box they were looking for despite being shown where it is. 
Rebooked for yesterday - no show. Told at 6pm they could be there up till 9pm. They know they need access to the property in order to complete the install as the line comes into the porch. 
End of yesterday I was told they might come today - rebooked for today, its 5PM and still no show. 
Thats two days I have waited in so far for these works to be carried out. 
Any time I phone up - the call gets dropped after sitting on hold for ages or I get told "the job is booked" so just wait for them. 
Any chance I might actually get this visit?
Already had to push the install back because VM didnt port my number so in all honesty this really hasnt been a smooth process so far and we are far from being connected. 

I feel like im stuck in a loop and when the install date rolls around they wont be able to install. 

I could really do with someone taking hold of the case and sorting it out. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Shroko
Superfast
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pre-Install not turning up.

Hi,

Are you referring to a pre-pull? Has the property never had cable services before and a cable needs to be pulled to the premises?

Which grey box are you referring to?

0 Kudos
dave1064
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes the pre-pull / pre-install.
We have never had cable before - apparently its what all the cool kids have?

Grey box they were looking for is the BT66 terminal where the BT drop line comes from the street into the house. 
They dont dig the garden or tack along the fenceline but pull the fibre down the BT conduit from the street to the house. 

0 Kudos
Shroko
Superfast
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Okay. 

You live in an area that has PIA (physical infrastructure access) in other words where Virgin use Openreach's infrastructure to bring the fibre to your house. No need for VM to dig up the road. 

The fibre comes through the ducting where currently it terminates at your grey box. 

Two things, first of all the pre pull date is one that is always showing as the current day, if you call today they'll tell you someone's coming, no one may. You call tomorrow and they'll tell you the same thing! It's to do with the systems VM use and it's annoying!

The pre pull should have been completed days before your actual install date, sometimes it can be done the day before but not usually. 

Secondly, all pre pull fibre work is done by an external contractor, they can be a bit hit and miss, I'm afraid. 

You need to contact VM, make a complaint and request they contact the Area Field Manager in your area. So that he or she can escalate with the contractors and provide you with an update. 

0 Kudos
dave1064
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Its a shame I have to do that - but at least I have direction now!
Thank you

0 Kudos
dave1064
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So despite calling at 21:00 yesterday and 11:00 today and told an engineer visiting today and confirming install dates - Im now told at 18:00 the install has been cancelled and I would need to go back through sales to start over.

Honestly this is a joke right ?

0 Kudos
Shroko
Superfast
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That's not ideal!

Cannot fathom why the actual install has been cancelled, unless there's an underlying construction issue, in which case you should have been informed.  They certainly should not have simply cancelled without telling you. 

Customer services is not Virgins strongest suite I'm afraid. Poor communication between departments results in the type of situation you find yourself in now. 

If you're in an area with PIA, it means you can find an alternative fibre provider, not just VM have access to PIA.

You should be able to get fibre to the premises from several other providers. VM  have much more competition now that PIA has been rolled out. You could get 300Mbs or more elsewhere.

0 Kudos
dave1064
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Nobody seems to take ownership of your case when you call.

0 Kudos
dave1064
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I had a rant on the phone when I didnt get disconnected - its been escalated, the rolling date thing was confirmed as you had suggested. 
They have raised a special works document as they need access to the property to complete the pull and will need to phone ahead for that. 
They have said that its gone to a Field Manager and they are now aware of it. It certainly appears the subs let down VM in this instance. When they came out before they were shown to the BT conduit by my wife and the guy refused to believe her and didnt even look. Bit of a shame. 

VM have not long done some fibre work in the street before they started door knocking for the sales. BT/OpenReach have also been flooding the street with vans over the last few days so presumably they will begin to offer fibre services very shortly? 

If VM dont come through then it wont be long before I can just pull the plug and look around and see what else is on offer.  However I remain quietly optimistic but I stand ready be corrected! 

0 Kudos
Shroko
Superfast
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Good work!

VM contractors are not the best in my honest opinion. 

As long as VM have escalated your issue to the relevant AFM, hopefully you will get a resolution soon. This is not guaranteed though. 

Besides, you will have plenty of alternatives to choose from if VM don't come good, PIA let's open reach and other providers give you FTTP services. 

0 Kudos