Menu
DonnaB106
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Powerline adapters

Hi. We're looking to connect a laptop upstairs to our router downstairs with a wired connection using a powerline ethernet adpater. Currently we can only connect one wired device at a time to our hub 3 router. The laptop that would be connected by powerline would be used a lot for home working. So my question is, if we connect the laptop in this way, would we be able to use any other wired device at the same time or not? I hope this makes sense! Any advice would be appreciated. Donna

0 Kudos
GmrtechMS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Powerline adapters

The hub3 has 4 ethernet ports allowing for 4 separate devices to be hard wired at once.  If you have a exsisting wired devices then add a powerline you will still have 2 available ports. 

Hope this helps 

0 Kudos
DonnaB106
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes, even though the hub has 4 Ethernet ports for some reason it only allows us to use one at a time. The virgin technical support guy also told us this would be the case. 

Is it something to do with being on modem mode? 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, if the VM hub is in modem mode only one port is active and you can only connect one device. This device is usually a router that then enables you to connect many more devices and if it a retail router probably provide WiFi. When in modem mode the WiFi on the VM hub is disabled. If you have your own router you should connect the powerline device to it. If you do not have your own router the VM hub should be in router mode, it then provides 4 Ethernet ports and WiFi.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
DonnaB106
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tudor. Thank you for your reply and sorry for my slow response. 

I want to keep my hub in modem mode as I want to use wired connection not WiFi. So I will need to buy my own router then to connect to the hub so I can connect more than one device to the Ethernet. Thank you for explaining this. 

Please could you recommend the best type of router to buy? 

Donna 

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You only need to use modem mode when you are not happy with the performance of the all in one solution. I would suggest that if you don't have a separate router that you turn off modem mode and then connect multiple devices to the ethernet ports on the back of the virgin router. WiFi is in addition to the hardwired ports not instead of.

Using modem mode without knowing what you are doing can also cause a security risk as you are bypassing the built in security of the virgin box and have to provide this yourself with either your own router or a firewall on the device attached. 

0 Kudos
DonnaB106
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your advice but I prefer to use modem mode to avoid WiFi.

We bought a netgear "switch" splitter with 5 ethernet ports and have connected it to the VM hub which is in modem mode. Unfortunately we can only get ethernet connection via 2 of the ports.Other devices don't connect.

Is there any way we can connect more devices using the ethernet alone via our hub 3?

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You need a router not a switch if you wish to use the hub as a modem. 

If you wish to use a switch then the hubmust be in router mode. 

If you want to disable/turn off WiFi whilst in router mode you can do this in the hubs settings. 

0 Kudos
DonnaB106
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. How do I turn off WiFi in the hub settings?

0 Kudos