Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Possibly upgrading from 200 to M350 , A few questions beforehand.

I am considering upgrading from my 200 to M350 speed and have a few questions beforehand . I am still using the Superhub 2ac  - will i  be sent a newer hub? ( do i actually need one for the speed boost ? ) . I didnt completely go through all steps to order online and was wondering about the relevance  of whether my hub is 3m or less  away from the wall box? , My current hub is around 5m away exactly where virgin media wired it in many years ago . It stated that if the hub was more than 3m away from the wall box i  would need an engineer ( at a cost of £30.00 )  . It also went to a page saying i  would receive a new TV box which although probably being a good thing confused me as all i  want is my speed upgrading  . Hope someone can help me with these questions , All the best 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Possibly upgrading from 200 to M350 , A few questions beforehand.

You will get a Hub3 as the SH2's don't go above 200. I "think" the engineer needed gotcha is because the quick start kit that they will probably send comes with a standard 3m cable - so would need to have a longer one made up and the power levels balanced. However as you already have a Hub fitted and working ok none of that automated stuff they are offering ought to apply. It should be a straight... unplug the old SH2 and plug in the Hub3 in its place and it should work. The upgrade to the service will be sent as a new configuration file to the Hub when it reboots.

Re. the TV - if its going from a TiVo to a V6 (which i.m sure it is) - I would highly recommend doing that as its a quantum leap better in terms of performance and usability - were they offering that at no extra charge - if so it's a no-brainer.

But if you dont want that you call it in and just ask for the speed upgrade and make sure that's all you get. Call it in on 150 (VM Phone) or 0345 454 1111 or (any other phone). Calling at 08.00 midweek -- is the best time - although people are still reporting getting through fine at other times with no long waits. Took just 20’ for me one midweek afternoon recently. Get them to email confirmation of agreed changes.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply , i  will probably go the online route to get it ordered unless it seems to force me to make options i don't want to make . Again thanks for all the help . All the best 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Well i  just phoned and tried to upgrade to M350 , online the official site says it will cost me an extra £4.50 per month to upgrade from 200 to M350 . Call centre guy first tries to sell me a package of broadband 500 + extra tv channels (  I dont even watch the cable as it is ) he quotes £85.75 per month ( i currently pay £74.95 ) ( the online page says i can get M350 with my current package for a total of £79.45 per month  + £35.00 activation fee ) . I asked if that was the permanent price of the package to which he replied "Yes " , he explained it would be an 18 month contract so i  asked what the cost would be after 18 months and he replied "£109.00 per month"  , that's a far cry from £85.75 per month first quoted as the permanent price ( first scam ) .

Next i  told him i  simply want to upgrade my internet speed and not the package , He says "That is why i  tried to offer you the package as simply upgrading the broadband would cost £91.00 per month . I told him the official site says it is only £4.50 extra per month on top of my current package . His reply "That deal is no longer running" ( second scam/lie )  Strange as i  looked at the page not 10 minutes before i  rang and straight after and the same price is still quoted . Conversation ended from my end by me saying "In that case i  wont upgrade anything , Good day to you "  

Awful customer service yet again ( Ive had trouble with them previously lying to me about a technician coming out , a manager actually admitted to me that another member of staff had lied and no. technician was ever booked ) . Appalled again and now considering looking elsewhere for my broadband as i am no longer tied to a contract with them .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If you can get a better deal online why not just upgrade via that route. Worry about any increases in 18 months time - when you can renegotiate again.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

HI john thanks for the reply ,

Its not quite that easy as the small print says they can raise the price at any time during the 18 months i am then locked into a contract i really dont want to be in . Add to that none of the online operators would say there was a hub in with the cost, they would only confirm there would be a new TV box . I hope you can understand why i  am very hesitant about placing any orders now as they arent very transparent about what i  am actually going to receive , they stated i  could only get a new hub if my current one is broken/B.E.R etc , This seems to be a common problem judging by many  complaints against them in various forums   . Thanks for all your help but i  think i  will stick with what i  have for the moment and possibly even look for another ISP . All the best 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Any isp can increase the price during your contacted period. However this price raise must be in line with the terms and conditions of your contract otherwise you can leave without charge. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Before you spend more money and lock yourself in for another 18 months with a company whom you're unimpressed with its customer service, what is youtr rationale for upgrading from  200 to 350 Mbps?  There's VERY few domestic or WFH uses that would come anywhere close to saturating even a 100 Mbps line, and so the benefits will only be a reduction in download times of large files.  And they'd need to be very large, and downloaded regularly for the difference to matter.  So web site and graphic designers, application or operating system developers, for example.  Gaming would see no benefit other than when downloading new games and updates (even then subject to server speeds and capacity), and presumably you're going to want to play the games, rather than download a new one every other day?

Your money, your choice, but worth thinking through how long you sit watching progress bars, and whether not quite halving that time would be worth the additional cost. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

Before you spend more money and lock yourself in for another 18 months with a company whom you're unimpressed with its customer service, what is youtr rationale for upgrading from  200 to 350 Mbps?  There's VERY few domestic or WFH uses that would come anywhere close to saturating even a 100 Mbps line, and so the benefits will only be a reduction in download times of large files. 

I completely agree with you on what you've said, however I actually struggled to cope with a 100 Mbps line, but it's not because I download large files. Its the poor upload speed of 10 Mbps that's the problem. Since I'm connected to my works VPN for most of the day I do download and upload a lot of files as well (and normally at the same time as) video conferencing. I have to use a 200 Mbps line just to get the same upload bandwidth as I got from BT over a phone line. 

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

HI, 

I will  have 3 or 4 people gaming at 4k on new consoles within the next few weeks ( possibly everything will run smoothly )  , they also have large game libraries and will be doing a lot of downloading. Also they normally have video chat , running at the same time whilst another person in the house is normally streaming movies etc  . I realize there are other things more important for gaming than speed ( the ping is pretty good with Virgin ) and that in in itself is a good reason to stay within them ,. I'm not saying any other company would be considerably better and it may be  a case of "Better the devil you know"  . Ultimately it grinds on me that these people take your money and then couldnt care less afterwards ,  I understand what your saying in general  but my problem here is customer service or lack thereof , i've been with them since 1985 , new customers get better deals , better equipment ( i cant get a new hub because mine isnt broken, im sure its as old as some of my kids lol ) .According to the offer on my virgin page I would have been spending an extra  £4.50 per month, Its not really going to break the bank for that extra "Just in case" scenario .  Thanks for your insightful reply and the help though . I will give it some thought over the coming weeks. All the best