Menu
RhysP_55
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Possibiliy of running external ethernet based on current circumstances

Hello,

My router is placed on the complete opposite side of my house to where I would like a wired ethernet connection. I currently use powerline adapters to rectify this issue, however, the speed drop-off is too high and want a better solution (my router speed is 200Mbps+ but I only get around 50Mbps from the powerline adapter). I currently have a TV cable running from the VM brown box, along the outside of the house and into my room through the wall. I would like to know, is it possible to run some form of ethernet or internet cable from that brown box and along the cable thats already there and through the same drilled hole or one next to it, if another one has to be made? Then I could have an ethernet faceplate on the inside of my room to connect it to my devices which should mean I get the full router speed of 200Mbps+, is this correct?

Could someone, maybe a VM Technician, let me know if this is possible and, if so, how much would it cost to do?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,
Rhys 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possibiliy of running external ethernet based on current circumstances

VM will not run ethernet cable for you - its DIY or an electrician/networker's job.

Also it will have to run from the Hub - not your omnibox - to where you want it to terminate. Either internally or you can use exterior grade cable to go outside if that's an easier route. Use Cat6 or better cable and put a GB port unmanaged switch onto the end of it - or a wireless access point with 4 additional GB ports. These would be ~£15 and £50 respectively. You will then get the full speeds.

One point to note - pre-made ethernet cables have RJ45 terminators that would need ~15mm holes drilled to pass through - obviously quite large and unsightly!   Far neater is to run "bare cable" through much smaller holes and add the terminators yourself.  Its quite straightforward and kits containing the ends, crimping tool and testers are only about a tenner on eBay.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
RhysP_55
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting me know. How about MoCA? Could that work? Could I use that current existing TV cable as an internet cable as well as a tv cable? And if so, how good is the speed/latency? Or can I plug the main router into that tv coax plug?

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You cant use MoCA adapters on a cable that is already connected to the Virgin network.
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Wise owl
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@RhysP_55 wrote:

Thanks for letting me know. How about MoCA? Could that work? Could I use that current existing TV cable as an internet cable as well as a tv cable? And if so, how good is the speed/latency? Or can I plug the main router into that tv coax plug?

You could plug the Hub into the other "TV" cable, but then you would have no co-ax supply for the TV.  If you had a spare VM cable splitter you could have both in the same location.

I would suggest you think of John's suggestion about external cabling.  An unterminated ethernet cable has a very small diameter and might go out where the Hub cable comes in, around the house ( it can be buried, or clipped) and into your TV room.  I've done this and it's really not that difficult. The terminations can be tricky at first, but once you have done a few, it's easy enough. 

0 Kudos