forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Robpurdy
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Poor internet at other side of house

Hello,

So i have poor internet quality in my office, i should be getting 200mb but im getting 20mb, 

There is a virgin socket in my office, but i think the hub needs to be connected to the tv box if im correct ? and that needs to be in the lounge for the TV.

How can i go about getting good internet in this room ? 

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor internet at other side of house

The 200Mb applies to wired devices only. You can get better WiFi performance in a number of ways, but the best is to get a mesh system.

0 Kudos
Robpurdy
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The closer i get, the better speed i get, i have tested it on multiple devices.

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

powerlines can sort this out wire them both up they are on same power loop

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using VIVID 500 Optical Fibre

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Robpurdy wrote:

The closer i get, the better speed i get, i have tested it on multiple devices.

Yes. That's to be expected. 

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

easyer way to get internet switches wire up the pc's you use at other side of the house and use wifi if its 100% needed like moblies tabets apple laptops does not have internet ports on them use them near the hub or install a mash wifi but it does not come cheap i only use my wifi now and again its rare i use mine becuse have hard wired everything to the router with internet switches with cat 6 cable.

i used to use wifi alot i don't use it alot now only things gone to wifi is fire stick and Alexa i don't trust provders routers wifi they are not good as they claimed to be.

you can make your own wifi up as long you have same boardcast id and password it will switch to near wifi spot as long you wired up that to the internet can copy some settings from the main wifi like mask ip and main ip on the other wifi router if you know someone can do this i would on house big or go all out and put UniFi network in the house just make sure you have a poe switch for the access points and have a pc to side for Unifi controller which you can download the software too to mange it and use put the main router in modem mode or just plan switch off the wifi in settings you can put switches to all 4 ports if you put it in modem mode you loss 3 ports on your router

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

one thing providers or enginers don't know wifi drops down but does not go up much i say put the router in middle of the house up high on 1st floor that maybe sort out the signal but wifi only goes up to set speed on what its on like 2.4g or 5g if it make it easyer you can split up the 2g and 5g signals in config settings just make sure you mark whats 5g at the end name leave the 2g the name what comes with the hub or what you name it.

2g can nomaly hit around 0-70mb (ps this signed to old moblies phones old wifi sticks and old laptops too)

(2g signal maybe will not be in use as much as 5g signals in routers now and makers of routers in a few years maybe not provide 2g in routers and use newer marked 5g and higher)

5g can nomaly hit around 0-500mb (ps this nomaly signed to moblies phones thats new fire sticks and there Alexa new laptops)

0 Kudos