Menu
TS1908
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Poor installation and non response to service call

Oh dear looks like this is a common subject.

Installation on 29/12/20.

Issue logged 4/1/21 although didn't seem to register on complaint list.

Issue logged 9/1/21 to follow up as no response.

Issue logged 12/1/21 to follow up as no response - was closed.

23/1/21 Phone Customer Services - really helpful.  Took a lot of details very sympathetic. Said that I would be contacted within 5 days.

I have no issue with the Customer Support I think they are being very badly let down by the Technical/Installation/Engineering departments. 

My phone was moved without consulting me.  I am 85 years old and now frequently can't get to the phone before the voicemail service kicks in. I need the phone back in the hall.  This is causing me a lot of stress and anxiety.  I am also supposed to have emergency phone cover because I am on my own most of the day but this was never explained. Infact nothing was explained.

Please can someone advise how to progress this.  It just takes a phonecall to say that you haven't got enough staff so it will be sometime.

I'm afraid I am seriously considering cancelling my contract even though it will cost.

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Poor installation and non response to service call

The VM forum staff should be able to extend the number of rings on your line before voicemail cuts in up to a maximum of 10 rings (approx. 30 seconds of ringing). I think the default is 6 rings.

The issue of reconnecting existing extension sockets to the hub is often mentioned on the forum and is often not done in a consistent way by VM IMO. If you have your own telephone extension sockets then these should have been reconnected according to this page

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone#whatishappening

(Section > "I have several phones connected to extensions – will these work?")

Former BT master sockets may be excluded on the grounds that they belong to BT but there are inconsistencies there too in whether they are connected, based on past forum posts.

The hub connection for the phone is really designed for use with a cordless phone with the base station plugged into the hub and cordless extensions used around the home.

Do you have any other devices connected to the landline (such as personal alarms or care alarms)? These will not work if the hub is not working for any reason (power outage or connection problems). VM should offer vulnerable customers an emergency backup unit (which will only dial 999 for emergencies) but will not support other device connections.

In any event, I think you should have been given some better options and an explanation of the setup.

0 Kudos
TS1908
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the response.  The number of rings is already at 10.  Unfortunately at my tender age it is still not long enough to allow me to get from the kitchen to the front room whereas when the phone was in the hall it was never a problem.

I also thought people might be interested in these two postings from The Guardian which reflect the good and the bad of customer service:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/feb/10/when-lockdown-ends-these-are-the-firms-that-we-will-re...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/feb/03/when-loss-of-vital-broadband-becomes-a-life-changing-i... 

The reason I ended up with VM was because my TalkTalk contract came to an end and the broadband was having problems so we would have had to arrange for an engineer anyway.  VM seemed to offer a good deal. However, as I have said the installation was very poorly handled and I an aghast at the poor customer service. We shouldn't need to threaten to contact senior managers, the press or consumer organisations but that seems to be the only way to get things done.  I have to agree with another forum post that VM over-promises and under-delivers and it's only concern is profit. From the discussions my daughter has found on the internet VM have little concern for their actual customers.

So we have decided that we are going to change providers and will look to highlight the issues we've had with senior managers, the press and consumer organisations to ensure that people understand what they are letting themselves in for when they opt for VM.  It sad to think that some people will have no choice.

0 Kudos
TS1908
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Help!!!!!!!! Marking a reply as helpful seems to have marked my issue as solved.  GRRRRRRR!

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

you can unmark it - you say your phone was moved is that becase its plugged into the back of the hub - thats now normal but they should have offered to run an extension to where you wanted it

if you have decided enough is enough then thats your decision - contacting senior management will likely not get you far but the staff here should be able to arrange a tech too get the extension sorted if you want that

you can get some backup for the phone - not sure what bet again lets ask

i will flag the thread and wait for staff to have a look - you can take it from there or not

Tony
goslow
Well-informed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@TS1908 wrote:

Help!!!!!!!! Marking a reply as helpful seems to have marked my issue as solved.  GRRRRRRR!

Didn't make any further reply myself as you said you had decided you were going to change providers (which may also be why you have had no further response from anyone else up to this point).

Is your issue confined to the matter of the telephone extension socket(s) not working or are there further problems with your VM installation? Having all the information on the issues may help the VM forum team give you the best response they can when they get here. 

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good Evening TS1908.

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see that we've not been as clear and as precise on the installation, can you advise me if the poorly handled installation is in reference to the relocation of the phone line alone or are there other issues you've faced?

In regards to the phone, we don't offer extension cables to run from the hub to another room - only the socket connection placed in the hub and handset you currently have.

You may be able to buy a cable from a third party retailer for the handset, or we can relocate the hub for you, but this would be charged at £99.00 as part of a tech call out fee.

It is also worth noting that before an installer leaves a property, the job would need to be signed off by the customer, and with this signature, it advises us that the customer is happy with the set up the installer has completed on their visit. This is what would prompt the £99.00 tech call out charge for relocation of the equipment

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@David_Bn wrote:

Good Evening TS1908.

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see that we've not been as clear and as precise on the installation, can you advise me if the poorly handled installation is in reference to the relocation of the phone line alone or are there other issues you've faced?

In regards to the phone, we don't offer extension cables to run from the hub to another room - only the socket connection placed in the hub and handset you currently have.

You may be able to buy a cable from a third party retailer for the handset, or we can relocate the hub for you, but this would be charged at £99.00 as part of a tech call out fee.

It is also worth noting that before an installer leaves a property, the job would need to be signed off by the customer, and with this signature, it advises us that the customer is happy with the set up the installer has completed on their visit. This is what would prompt the £99.00 tech call out charge for relocation of the equipment

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

my understanding is that techs carry a cable and wall mounted wall box - i dont believe its a long length but allows a wall box to be connected to the hub - that may or may not be enough for the OP - i also understand it should be offered by the tech - if it was not then there should not be a £99 call out charge

and with respect David - whilst to OP may have signed off the job and thats not always the case as evidenced on here if he is not informed that cables and boxes for the phone are available how is he to know to ask for one

Tony
TS1908
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that information but sadly you are right that it is a bit late to rectify things.

It's as much the point that the engineer didn't explain at all what he was going to do.  If he had I might have realised that the phone being moved was a permanent thing.  My daughter had arranged for this to happen so I didn't know what to expect - I don't think she realised either.

The engineer seem to be in a bit of a hurry when he finished and said wait 20 minutes and it should all be working.  He didn't demonstrate or explain anything and left cables and boxes all in a pile behind a chair next to the television.

So really unfortunately I just feel very annoyed about it all.  No follow up calls to see how things were - unlike when they installed the connection from the road to the house and someone actually knocked on the door that same evening to check that everything had gone okay.  My daughter has phoned  and logged complaints on my behalf but none have been responded to. On the one call we did have it agreed that we would not need to pay a re-location fee because we'd logged the issue before 30 day deadline but no-one contacted us within the 5 days or after to arrange anything.

I just feel that customer service is non-existant so have totally lost confidence that my issue was going to be dealt with.

0 Kudos