Menu
Stallos007
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Please please please let me be a customer

Hi.

i am desperate to become a new customer but for over a year I have been unsuccessful. When I enter my post code it says broadband is not available in my area. My area is the city of London! I live in an apartment block and there are people in the building on the ground floor who have virgin media. So broadband is available just no connection to my place. 

I have tried numerous times on email, live chat and phone to get someone out to assess connecting me but no one ever comes. How can I escalate this? Am I even in a queue? i just keep being told to wait until broadband is available in my area. I have even offered to pay. There would be upside for virgin as there are 100 flats in this building. I have requested 3 visits using the online form and no one turned up, no email confirmation or phone call

All customer service reps are very friendly and helpful but unfortunately no progress is being made and it’s impossible for me to create an account when the system says virgin is not available. I can see the BT tower from my window.

please can someone point me in the direction of how to get help to become a new customer in this situation. Is there a dedicated team to deal with this.

thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Please please please let me be a customer

Connections only on the ground floor suggests no internal wiring ducts, which is a must with multi-storey accommodation. Communal aerial systems are housed in the top of the building, along with the distribution network. Virgin requires it at the bottom. It also requires triple screened cabling throught to each flat.

Virgin are not allowed to externally wire any communal accommodation above ground floor. Most councils forbid it.

Retrofit internal wiring is extremely expensive & the cost would fall on either the landlord &/or on ALL the occupants through increased rents or a seperate capital levvy.

So the question is, do all 100 flats want to pay for it whether they use it or not?

PS.Virgin do not use ANY BT infrastructure.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Stallos007
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for the reply. Theres more information in that post than I have heard in the past year. 

The building is only about 25 years old and there are internal wiring ducts. Although surely an engineer from virgin would need to assess this before a decision could be made? . It seems impossible to get someone to come out to have a look and give some feedback.

It’s all quite discouraging- like I need to either move or give up on hoping for virgin? I still want to hope...

What would you suggest in terms of a way forward here, who would be my next point of contact at virgin to try to progress this?

I have contacted the building owner and other residents to canvass support. Who should I be speaking to at virgin?

Has anyone ever successfully got connected in this type of scenario?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's the landlord and managing agent that you need to push on this.

If you could get their written agreement to the ducts being made available to VM, and show sufficient interest from other tenants, you might be in with a chance.

0 Kudos
Stallos007
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok let’s say I get consent and a good show of support from other residents. Then who I contact at virgin media?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You could try asking one of the VM support staff here to refer it on.   They are far more helpful than the telephone lot.

0 Kudos
Jonny-M
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you have 100 flats then register with Hyperoptic

0 Kudos
Stallos007
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

have contacted building owner.

can anyone from virgin comment here?

what is the optimum process for making progress on this?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Do you have written agreement from the building management?  If so you need to send that to VM's installations department.

Unfortunately the very knowledgeable VM forum staff are no longer here, but one of the new ones may be able to help if you can hold on. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

One thing I forgot to mention. A lot of the City of London is outside VMs infrastructure, mainly due to the amount of disruption installing it would cause. I know that a few councils have refuse VM permits to install.

The linked map is pretty accurate as to where VM cable service (solid green) are available:

https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#13/51.4952/-0.0987/virgin/

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos