cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help - Waiting months for VM & now no internet

Pleasehelp2
Joining in

Hello, 

I don't know what's worse, recently having a baby who doesn't sleep, or dealing with VM. Please help! After extending my previous provider multiple times I've finally been cut off & now left with no internet connection. 

My partner agreed with VM for him to complete the outside construction work himself including manually digging a trench, and adding the tunneling for VM to only simply pull the cable through including as, ironically, it should of speeded up the process. We've had 2 VM surveyors inspect the work and both said everything has been done perfectly and is a very simple job for the outsourced company. The outsourced contractors have apparently come to the house 5 times, we have cameras so we know 3 times they did not turn up, once they did when we weren't there and did nothing, and the second they said they couldn't because of the rain? I've called VM countless times, they mostly either direct me somewhere else / end the call / confirm the installation date has been delayed again, since July - and now it's looking like another 6-8 weeks - for what? It seems this external company is providing incorrect information to VM to say the outside work hasn't even been started..... VM keep sending this company escalation emails on my behalf asking them to call me directly - no calls! Argh.

They have zero concern for the fact that I have no internet with a newborn, spend hours calling (having to get help with my baby when I do) and an exposed trench which has been left open for weeks now which is a major hazard, I have a newborn and I've almost fallen over, and the post man is threatening to sue. Please take this seriously. 

Thank you to whoever reads this from VM

3 REPLIES 3

Client62
Legend

To be 100% clear, you caused the previous ISP service to be withdrawn.

Get a good hotspot organised until you understand if VM will be able to supply a service.

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Congratulations on your new baby. As per Client62 it's never wise to hold your breath with VM installations (or phone calls, or chats, or WhatsApps, or forum posts). Arrange for a rolling monthly contract arrangement with either Now broadband or 3's 5g service to see you through for now. Maybe also do some sort of hazard covering over the trench to keep the postman sweet too. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Look back through the past topics on this 'Quick Start' forum and you will see that there are hundreds of 'delayed installation' topics going back in recent years.

For the unlucky customers whose installation is delayed, they become stuck in a vacuum of non-communication between VM and the cabling sub-contractors.

It would not be impossible for the sub-contractor to have identified an underground obstruction between the street cabinet and your home which is causing a delay (that is mentioned often on here) or there could be some other reason. Whatever the cause the issue will remain unresolved between VM and the sub-contractor for an undetermined period of time. Sometimes work suddenly starts unexpectedly and the job is completed. Other times the job drags on for months on end. Whoever you talk to at VM will not be able to give you an answer you can truly rely on as they are simply relaying information without any direct control, it seems, over the required work.

If VM is actually telling you the next delay is a further 6 to 8 weeks then that sounds like your job has been totally stalled. There have been topics on here where VM has cancelled the job, even when very near complete, after a long wait for the customer.

In the meantime, start thinking about what backup plans you will put in place as mentioned above.

Now Broadband and Freeola have been mentioned on here in the past as offering a rolling 30 day contract via an Openreach connection

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Waiting-for-pre-installation-work-can-I-c...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Virgin-Media-Delay-6-to-8-Weeks-for-now/m...

These are not direct recommendations, just mentions of things others have tried so do your own research to find out if they are suitable. Alternatively look into an unlimited data SIM/hotspot on a rolling monthly contract.

The results for all these temporary measures will be heavily dependent on where you live as to how good/fast they are so make your own enquiries about suitability before signing up for anything.

Finally, you should start keeping a detailed record of events (dates, times of all calls, messages, texts etc. along with any missed appointments and failed appointments where someone turns up but no work was carried out). Keep the record in a timeline format with links from the timeline to each piece of recorded evidence. This will make it easy for you in the future to put forward a case to arbitration for the correct compensation, should that be necessary.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

The compensation is not great but it should help offset the cost of any temporary connection.

VM does not always play straight or fair when paying out though which is why keeping a record as you go along, with evidence, is important to make sure you get paid the correct amount.