Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Physical damage to exterior cover of broadband -- what to do?

Hello,

I haven't been outside much recently and I've only just noticed there is damage to the exterior cover that goes over the hole where our broadband goes from the outside into the inside of the house.

The cover itself has gone transparent, and parts of it look as if someone has cut at it? (You can see that more on the side, but the bottom bit is a good example of what it looks like profile). 

damage 2.jpg

damage 1.jpg

Could this be due to the rain? Perhaps the cover wasn't built to survive in such intense rain and cold weather, hence the cover breaking?

I can't find a section on the website to log this issue nor any advice. Also the chat feature that's a bot isn't proving very useful but Virgin itself says not to call up unless it's urgent and now sure if this classes as such.

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Physical damage to exterior cover of broadband -- what to do?

The pictures look more like the remains of some clear silicone sealant, which would have been used to stick the cable cover on, after the cable cover has dropped off and blown away.

The covers are cheap and easy to come by if you are minded to try a DIY fix. Alternatively, wait here for a VM forum team member to pick up. They usually respond within a few days but can take up to a week.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK, thanks, I will wait for a member of the team to stumble across this post then! Hopefully this can be fixed soonish.

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@tiredallthetime wrote:

OK, thanks, I will wait for a member of the team to stumble across this post then! Hopefully this can be fixed soonish.

It may take a while. Those covers are available in B&Q for a couple of pounds. You may make a better job of securing it for the wall 😊

Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Oh really? There's a B&Q a fair walk away from me but I'm not exactly up to much this month... So could make the trip!

Would you have any idea how to stick it to the wall and/or remove the old glue underneath? I live in a rented house so not sure how much DIY I'd be allowed to do. But it's worth a shot if VM will take a while as I don't want any water to get onto the wire/into the hole in the wall.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Here's the link you need for the B&Q part:

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-red-cable-entry-cover/571315_BQ.prd

or take your pick from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=brick+buster+plate&crid=2OUW8WC45J27&sprefix=brick+buster%2Caps%2C228&r...

You also need some external silicon sealant to fix it to the wall (and a few brick nails wouldn't go amiss either).

https://www.diy.com/departments/no-nonsense-ready-to-use-all-weather-clear-sealant-310ml/1306088_BQ....

Try to remove the old sealant if you can before fitting the new cable entry cover (also known as a "brick buster" if you're searching on line).

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ooooh thanks so much!! I was having trouble finding it on the B&Q site as I'm not DIY literate at all!! 

0 Kudos