cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordering a 2 way splitter

acbrme
Joining in

A while ago, having issues with broadband/TV connectivity, a Virgin Media engineer had replaced the standard splitter (I think the correct term is a 2 Way Coax Connector) with a powered splitter/amplifier. This had not solved the problems so Virgin Media has since fixed the root cause that was external to our property.

I assume the amplifier is not required anymore as the external signal is now 'healty' and I would prefer to switch to the standard (non powered) splitter (reduce unnecessary power consumption and free up the space and one of my power sockets!).

Is there a way I could get one sent to me? I would just order one online but not sure they would meet Virgin media frequency requirements etc. And seconday question - is there any way for me to return the powered splitter/amplifier for reuse or recycling?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There might now be no need for the amplifier, but without it the signal levels from the cabinet will need to be reset to the correct levels by a technician.

You cannot replace the splitter yourself, it is not the same as the TV splitters in the shops. 

VM will not attend to do this free if there is no fault, but you could pay the £25 standard no fault-charge if you want it checked by a technician.

The technician would take the powered unit away for reuse or recycling. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There might now be no need for the amplifier, but without it the signal levels from the cabinet will need to be reset to the correct levels by a technician.

You cannot replace the splitter yourself, it is not the same as the TV splitters in the shops. 

VM will not attend to do this free if there is no fault, but you could pay the £25 standard no fault-charge if you want it checked by a technician.

The technician would take the powered unit away for reuse or recycling. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello acbrme.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our community.

Its a tricky one to advise from here.

We could look at getting the 2 way splitter sent out, but as advised the connections would not fit. As it is now working fine, I think it would be best to keep it as it is.

However if you notice any changes, please pop back on here and let us know.

Gareth_L