Menu
adacey
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Old cable but Virgin says no service

Hi,

I've been having an ongoing struggle with Virgin. Early in 2020 we offered on a house, I checked Virgin's service checker at the time and it said I could get installed.

Later, when I saw that M500 was being rolled out I checked the service checker again to see what speeds I could get at the address and it said they don't service the area. I was a bit confused by this but we were under lockdown at the time so I tossed it up as simply being that they weren't doing any new installs at the time.

Finally, after 11 months of delays, we moved. Again, during the leadup to the move, Virgin was saying service wasn't available in my area. We asked the former homeowners and they had said there was an old NTL box on the house but it looked to be damaged, but they were with Sky so hadn't checked it out.

I did several chats with Virgin as I wanted to move my existing broadband, but just kept getting the response of "computer says no, we don't service every area of the country." I even pointed out to them that if you check the neighbouring addresses on either side of my house it says Gig1 Fibre is available, so clearly, they service the area and wanted to know how to get an install, still no luck.  It's a semi-detached house and the adjoining property says Gig1 is available.

We've been moved in for a couple of weeks now so I've finally had the chance to check out the cabling and make sense of what's there. I have an old NTL box on the front of the house with the cover missing. Inside the house, there is an old NTL phone jack and a cut piece of coax. Outside, the NTL box has a splitter and I can see that there is a length of RG59 (assuming it's RG59, the cable says "type 59 on it") that runs into a conduit that runs to the street along the dividing hedge between my drive and the adjoining property's drive. At the street side, I even found a big roll of cable coming out of the conduit on the neighbour's side of the hedge.

I get that the box may need replacing and that I obviously need a new run of coax into the house, but it seems like I have all of the pieces in place to get an installation. Even if the old coax cable running to the street needs replacing with the old cable run through the conduit this should be a pretty quick job.

The best I was able to get from Virgin's support before the move was they'd have an engineer check when they were working in the area and something vague about them doing rebuilding on my street so it would be 3-6 months, but where both properties on either side of me say they can already get Gig1 Fibre I'm not clear on why I can't be connected. I've never heard back from the tech and I'm sceptical that they've even checked it yet.

How do I convince Virgin that I'm in a serviced area and they just need to come and connect me? I seem to just get caught in the constant issue where the computer says "not available in your area" and they're completely unwilling to employ some common sense that the neighbourhood has service and I'm the owner of the property saying "please take my money and sign me up for Gig1".

The Openreach service is quite poor in the area, only offering 60mbps so it's been a big step down from the 350mbps I was on and I'd sign up for Gig1 in a heartbeat if I could just get somebody to do it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Old cable but Virgin says no service

Ask your neighbours what virgin is like in your new area. It might be that there is insufficient capacity at the local cabinet and you'll need to wait until the cabinet has been upgraded or people leave.

However if other houses in your road that don't have virgin the website accepts then it sounds like someone had made your specific address unserviceable. 

adacey
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I wouldn't have thought they'd be rolling out Gig1 in the area if it was oversubscribed, but maybe they're waiting to see how many existing customers upgrade to it first or something similar? I've at least noted myself down as interested, so hopefully if they are still working in the area that will trigger somebody to check out the outside of the property and make note of what's needed.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have flagged for VM to take a look. Hopefully someone can get you an answer - keep checking back here.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Shweby
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good evening.

I have sent you a PM so we can discuss in more detail. Look for the purple envelope in the top right hand corner.

Thanks

Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I hate to bump an old thread but after that initial response from the team, I've not heard anything. I supplied my details over PM and it looked like I was finally going to get some details. I've confirmed with the neighbour in the adjoining house that they're currently with Virgin and just did a self-install. I know that's not an option for me since the cable running into the house has been cut, but with a full run of cable to the street I just don't get why Virgin are insisting that there's no service in my area, when that "area" appears to be limited to my house.

0 Kudos