Menu
robhill04
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Old box - can it be removed?

Hi, I've got an old brown VM box and numerous cables coming off it on the front of our house. I would like to know if I can remove it as we aren't VM customers and are starting an extension eminently where it is. Do these cables affect my broadband etc or are they all obsolete?

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old box - can it be removed?

If you have VM broadband it’s most likely that some of the cables are still in use. Please post a picture and we can advise further. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Remove old box and cables

Hey @robhill04,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on our forums.

The cables that you have in place from Virgin Media would not affect your broadband connection from another operator.

Are the wires attached to the box on the inside or outside of your home?

Regards,

Steven_L

0 Kudos
robhill04
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. The cables go off around the outside of the house in different directions. Can I just disconnect the supply from the pavement and then remove all the others?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thread recently where a field manager reported back that they wouldn't remove installed external cables when a poster was updating the exterior of their house.

They said they could remove them themselves without issue/safety issue and highlighted possible future issue would be on returning to VM as a customer.

If your BB is with VM the removal of these cables will render your BB unusable, if your BB is via someone else then it won't; specifically via full fibre or telephone cable over head and not underground.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VIP's were asked to escalate these threads for VM's attention - as the last thing they want is ex-customers ripping out cables and disrupting the connections of other users in the area.

I have asked VM to come her to comment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Remove-old-box-and-cables/td-p/4810...

Is the one I am thinking off in my reply.

I intend to cut mine off the wall, having the walls repaired, when my time is up.

jem101
Community elder
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There is certainly no safety issue in cutting through the cable, there is next to no power running through them. Now theoretically, it is possible that just cutting them can cause issue for other VM customers, the question though is, in that case is it your problem or VM’s? I suspect that a Court would conclude that it is up to VM to have an infrastructure that is resilient to such an event.

The questions to consider are these, are VM paying you to have their cables running across your property, yes/no? If the answer is no, then you are perfectly entitled to cut them at the boundaries of your property and remove everything on your property, BUT, are you absolutely sure that you won’t want to use VM services in the future, or when you sell the property, would it be beneficial to say that all the cabling is in place for a VM broadband connection?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If I was buying a house I would want a new installation.  Mine currently is a wire hanging out a roughly drilled hole in the wall.

Front exterior is just some rusty metal trunking where the wire comes in. 

It will be cut back, evidence removed and replastered over when I do planned work early next year.

Openreach BT full fibre is where I am going in a one way trip.  VM under Liberty Global sucks massively.

Back to OP. It's your property - strip it back.  There's nothing VM can do. 

Just bear in mind your actions now if you did want their service in future as it will delay any install or even prevent it as they would be under the assumption you could have a quick set up but reality would be further works and a new cable (repull) and manned install inside.  They have been delayed months and months with little comms for people on here.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi robhill04, 

Thanks for your post on this one. 

With regards to removing the cables, we would only send someone to remove them if there is a health and safety issue. 

Can you please pop a picture of the cables here so we can check in with the teams on this for you. If they are deemed a health and safety risk then we can get an appointment booked in for you. If not, we can confirm you can cut and remove the cables yourself. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos