Menu
Jake961
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Old Virgin Cables

Screenshot_20210501-094903.jpg

Moved into a new house that previously had virgin media. The cables for my new router are approx 1 metre long . But there is still around 10-12 metres of cable from the previous owner that is still connected and really unsafe as there are very young children living at the house. Is there anyway that this can be removed..

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old Virgin Cables

hard to see from the photo what is actually there except a mess - can you post a better close up picture

if you only have BB then you should be able to remove all the internal cable and just connect the hub to the wall box using the cable supplied in the quickstart

if you also have TV then its a bit more complicated

so a better photo please and a description of what you are connecting

removing the long cable could affect the levels to the hub but lets look at that when you get to a point of removing whats not needed

Tony
0 Kudos
Jake961
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I just have BB. The small white cable in my hand is the only thing that i need, which is connected to the router from the box on the wall. The second picture is all the old cable that is also connected to the box on the wall, runs under the carpet, another bit runs round the wall and outside in to the back garden.

Screenshot_20210501-101649.jpg

Screenshot_20210501-102021.jpg

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

ok - still difficult to see whats happening so a bit of guesswork

the quickstart kit usually comes with a 1metre cable - the one in your hand looks longer than that - they also do a 3 metre one that i thought came when a TV box was involved - maybe you have that - either way thats all you need if you want the hub in the area of the wall box

there are 2 white squarish boxes in the photos - one [the larger] is a phone box - that has a wire going back to the wall box - it will pass through the wall and connect externally in the outside box - all that can be removed - better if a tech did and its dangerous so that should not be a problem

the other box i am not sure about - it could be a splitter that fed a TV box

you can certainly tidy it all up and make it safe so the children dont get to it - cover it with a box or similar

i will flag the thread to VM siting that the wires are if nor dangerous a health and safety issue and am sure they will get a tech to sort it

Tony
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

That second lot of cable looks like telephone wire, so can be removed.  You can open that "NTL" box and check where that telephone wire is terminated.  There is no live voltage to worry about, so quite safe to remove the cover.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi wrote:

That second lot of cable looks like telephone wire, so can be removed.  You can open that "NTL" box and check where that telephone wire is terminated.  There is no live voltage to worry about, so quite safe to remove the cover.

is that true - never played with VM telephone lines but BT have a pulsed voltage or did have as i found out to my cost when stripping the insulation using my teeth

Tony
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

@Adduxi wrote:

is that true - never played with VM telephone lines but BT have a pulsed voltage or did have as i found out to my cost when stripping the insulation using my teeth

I'm sure the Dentist would love you 🙂 

Yes, I was thinking of mains voltage.  However, I've done many different telephone socket moves and never had an issue with it.

But if anyone is uncomfortable with moving wires, then absolutely yes wait for an engineer.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jake961, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

I can see why you're so concerned with the wires around your children, it looks like a trip hazard waiting to happen! 

I can also understand if you're a little wary of handling/removing the wires yourself, so I will get in touch with the local AFM to see if they can send an engineer round on the basis that there is a trip hazard with internal cables. 

They may not be able to visit until Monday or Tuesday so please try your best to bundle the wires together neatly whilst your children are present.

Thanks,

Megan_L

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi wrote:

@-tony- wrote:

@Adduxi wrote:

I'm sure the Dentist would love you 🙂 

Yes, I was thinking of mains voltage.  However, I've done many different telephone socket moves and never had an issue with it.

But if anyone is uncomfortable with moving wires, then absolutely yes wait for an engineer.

All landlines are powered (by the MSAN I think, which in turn is powered by a nearby power cabinet supplied with mains electricity), otherwise how else can a basic corded phone work.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

50-60VDC on phone lines that pulses at about 90VAC when the phone rings

Nice shock to be had from that even if not deadly 🙂