cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining a coaxial Splitter

thelight
Tuning in

My parent's currently have Virgin Media TV which has a coax coming in downstairs, and their router coming in to a seperate coax upstairs.

While they were on the phone sorting this out they asked if a splitter could be sent out so that they could move the router downstairs for a better connection where they actually use their devices.

They were told yes, and that it would arrive in a few days. It never turned up. So they phoned VM again and asked where the splitter was, and were told that splitters are never sent out and an engineer visit was required. Seems overkill to me for a splitter, especially as they are often sent out in home install packs.

I was just wondering whether someone could tell me whether it is at all possible for get VM to mail a splitter out? And if so, how to go about requesting one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A splitter will alter the signal levels to the Hub and TV.   It will need a technician to visit and carry out the work.  It will be charged at a reasonable £25 fee.  The technician will also check everything is working and adjust the signal levels as needed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A splitter will alter the signal levels to the Hub and TV.   It will need a technician to visit and carry out the work.  It will be charged at a reasonable £25 fee.  The technician will also check everything is working and adjust the signal levels as needed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have an upstairs and a downstairs wall box then there must already be a splitter in the circuit. It’s probably in the external omnibox. This need to be removed, replaced by a F to F connector, and moved to the downstairs location. It’s possible that there could be an alteration to the signal levels due to the removal, from the circuit, of the cable to the upstairs, but I doubt it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

thelight
Tuning in

thanks both, that makes sense, I didn't realise there would be other modifications to be made. I'll let them know

Hi thelight, thank you for getting in touch to raise this to us - and thank you to the community for offering such helpful advice and support! Glad to see they have given you the information that you need. 

I can confirm for an equipment relocation (such as the hub) it would require a technicians appointment, with a one-off call out charge of £25. 

Please do let us know if you would like some support in getting this booked in for you, as we will be happy to help arrange this! 

All the best. 

Molly