cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONT Terminal Query

npimperton
Joining in

Hi

I have just received a Hub 5 to replace my Hub 3 on a 500Mb to 1Gb upgrade, and the cables supplied are now push fit with compressible splines to hold the plug on the sockets for both the ONT and the Hub 5. Now fitting the new cable to the Hub 5 is fine as you are able to hold the Hub to counter the press in force. This is not so with the ONT (wall box), or at least it isn't on mine. The socket is free to move and disappears into the box when you attempt to push on the cable. Is this because the socket has detached from a circuit board within the box, or perhaps because the box is only housing a loosely placed 'connector' to connect the outdoor cable with the indoor cable? I can't remove the cover to check, as the I don't have a driver to remove the tamper proof screws.

Either way, I have had to reinstate the old Hub 3 cable with the F type screw on connector, whilst holding the top of the thread with a pair of radio pliers.

ONT.jpg

Question:

1. Is the ONT box damaged or is the connector in the housing free to move,
  2. Is there any disadvantage in using the Hub 3 screw connected cable over the new Hub 5 push on cable?

Perhaps a Virgin Media tech could advise, as the answer will guide on whether a tech will be needed to visit.

Many thanks.

Neil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The isolator in the box is loose, that’s all. You can use the Hub 3 cable. If you really want to use the push cable you will need to get an F connector from B&Q (£2) to join the cables, or get a screwdriver to match. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The isolator in the box is loose, that’s all. You can use the Hub 3 cable. If you really want to use the push cable you will need to get an F connector from B&Q (£2) to join the cables, or get a screwdriver to match. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Can't see the exact security screw head in your pic but you could get yourself some security bits if you can find the right one

https://www.screwfix.com/p/silverline-25mm-hex-shank-mixed-security-bit-set-33-pieces/494tj

if you want to DIY.

Or wait for a VM forum team member to book a tech to resolve.