Menu
KarolinaZ
Settling in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Nowhere to plug in my Quickstart package and can't get through to an assistant?

Hi, 

I moved into a flat today, and placed an order for a Quickstart package this Tuesday in advance. I was assured that the previous tenants used Virgin Media so it should be fairly simple to set up my new router etc. Upon arriving, it appears there are no appropriate sockets in the flat to set up the router using - only modem cable connections, no virgin media circular port. 

I have tried to contact customer service for several hours now to no avail - I have called over 15 times, and have been automatically hung up on multiple times when being transferred to a customer service rep. It is likely that I will need to book an engineer appointment, but this is impossible to do via phone or online in the alternative, as apparently my account number/information is invalid, when I try to sign up for an account. 

Please could someone help? I needed uninterrupted internet upon moving for my job and thus far I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the Virgin Media service. 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nowhere to plug in my Quickstart package and can't get through to an assistant?

some install do not have an internal box or it might have been removed but you mention modem connections - post some photos

also start outside and find the external box - follow any cables inside

if the 'modem connection' are VM one of these might help

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

Tony
0 Kudos
KarolinaZ
Settling in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nowhere to plug in my Quickstart package and can't get through to an assistant?

I have taken photos of all the ports in the flat I can find - what confuses me is that I was told by Virgin that the previous tenants had Virgin Media internet, so I have no idea how they managed this if I can't connect now!Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.28.56.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.29.05.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.29.11.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.29.16.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.29.20.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.29.25.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.29.30.png

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

this with the splitter below  Snip-15.01.12.3326.png

and the last one look the most useful 

the others i dont think look anything like VM

looking at the last one - the cable on the left is of no interest but what is the cable on the right - is that from the quick start kit or is it in the flat - if the latter you need a connector from B & Q or the like i linked to above

if it is just the quick start cable then go back to the cable above the splitter - thats just shos a joint so the question is where do the 2 cables go to or where do they come from 

Tony
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@KarolinaZ wrote:

Please could someone help? I needed uninterrupted internet upon moving for my job and thus far I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the Virgin Media service. 

You should remember that Virgin Media is a domestic service and they do not guarantee an uninterrupted service. Use for business is strictly limited. See Section D of their Terms and Conditions.

0 Kudos
KarolinaZ
Settling in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I agree - the cable on the left was marked TV aerial, the one on the right had no markings, but didn't quite fit onto my router i.e. I'm not sure if it's a TV or internet cable - I followed the cable back as far as I could and it appears to go into a box marked TV so I presume it's also a tv cable. 

The splitter outlets (the tri-outlet pictured) DO fit my Quickstart cable but when I plug the router in etc it comes up green for wifi and flashing green for power which I believe means it is on but there is no internet. Is this due to the outlet being the wrong outlet, or is it because I need to turn on the service or something like that for it to start?

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

the cable on the right of the bottom image should fit into the router - maybe a bit of paint or dirt or the centre pin is bent - work with that to start with - if you get it to fit then ring the activation line - 0800 953 9500 - but it depends where it goes back to for it to be any good 

to me the more useful one is the cable above the splitter - as i said it would be useful to know where each of the cables feeding the joint go to or come from so follow each cable or simply remove the joint and plug each cable into the hub in turn and see what the light on the hub does - whichever cable you use you need to keep ringing the activation line

you can also start outside at the external box and follow any cables that come from it to the inside

Tony
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@KarolinaZ wrote:

Yes, I agree - the cable on the left was marked TV aerial, the one on the right had no markings, but didn't quite fit onto my router i.e. I'm not sure if it's a TV or internet cable - I followed the cable back as far as I could and it appears to go into a box marked TV so I presume it's also a tv cable. 

The splitter outlets (the tri-outlet pictured) DO fit my Quickstart cable but when I plug the router in etc it comes up green for wifi and flashing green for power which I believe means it is on but there is no internet. Is this due to the outlet being the wrong outlet, or is it because I need to turn on the service or something like that for it to start?

That sounds good, as Tony has said phone the activation number 0800 9539500 have your account number area code and serial number of your equipment to hand. Regards Micky 

0 Kudos
KarolinaZ
Settling in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've activated the internet and waited half an hour but unfortunately my router still says that there is no internet (green flashing power light). Not sure what to do next to be honest. I followed the cables back to source as far as I could and the cable seemed to lead to the box labelled TV so I don't think I'll have much luck getting broadband from that. The ethernet ports in the flat are too small to fit a traditional ethernet cable (I tried!) so not sure what they are for either to be honest. 

No idea how the previous tenants managed to set up their virgin media! They definitely were with the same service, I found a wifi sticker from Virgin in the flat! 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

so what cables have you tried - the screw one in the last picture and have you split the cable above the 3 port splitter and tried each end of that in the hub 

the only cable that will work is one that is connected to the outside box - so - again - you need to start there and trace that cable

Tony
0 Kudos