Menu
mrgl
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not sure if I'm eligible for Virgin

Hello,

I'm about to move to a new place, and Internet is obviously critial because I'm at home 24/7 like everyone else.

I'm not sure if I'm eligible for "Quickstart". This is the only picture that I have of the socket from the previous tenant:

89a8f7ee-0a28-48ce-9983-5c57be05a583.jpeg

It looks like a coaxial plug from the grey box beneath but I don't recognise that logo.
They said it would take 23 days for an engineer to come which is outrageous. Not like we're in a major economic crisis with lots of people looking for work... Anyway.

If anyone could help identify what kind of socket this is and whether it would work for Virgin, that would be fantastic, thanks!

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not sure if I'm eligible for Virgin

Hi there

Let me take a look for you by checking our systems to see when it last had service.

I'll pop you a private message to take some details

Thanks 

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

the VM coax is the isolator under the right socket
0 Kudos
mrgl
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Does that mean that "Yes, I can get Virgin?" Thanks
0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

The property has definitely had service at some point but the sockets and that isolator look terribly old. It may be a case that it has been disconnected outside in the cabinet also.

the best thing to do is talk to @Christy_D  above, he will be able to let you know the exact detail.

One point to note is that that isolator should be in a proper housing. I would definitely recommend a manned install to put that right.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
mrgl
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Great, thanks Jon.

Just, so to confirm, you're saying "it could work, there is compatible equipment, but we're not sure because it looks old".

Did I get it right?

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That’s correct. It looks very old and it may be disconnected outside. That metal thing should be inside a plastic housing also.

If it was me I would probably have a manned installation to ensure that everything is correct.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The white outlet box is the old diplexer/isolator type from the old days of analogue services & used to split off the FM radio from the TV (when there was no Broadband, only dial-up).

The isolator below the box is a newer type which would indicate far more recent use. A self-install should work, but if you get a tech booked for the install they will fit an inline isolator which is even smaller & far less obtrusive.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos