cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not enough outside feeds into block of flats resulting in terrible connection for everyone

jamesbenn
Joining in

I live in block of 9 flats on a main road and we only have a couple of feeds from the box in the street about 10 metres from the property. Most of us in the building have Virgin and we are on BNC splitters so that we can all connect and share a broadband feed from outside. This however causes a big problem as having 5 or so hubs on 1 feed alone from the box has resulted in intermittent service for us all. It doesn't ever go slow, it either works or it doesn't. Can work for a day or two fine then be intermittent for days at a time. Sometimes drops out for days at a time. All depends on how many are using it. I have had multiple engineers out who have all said we need more connections to the box in the street so that we aren't all on big splitters sharing the same few connections. 

Whenever I've called up I get fobbed off by someone in a call centre who says that these engineers that visit do not log that work needs to be done. I have had my hub checked many times to by an engineer and it's all working. The person on the phone then says they are going to 'monitor' drop out and they always come back with saying it's fine when it isn't. One guy even said I have too many devices (smart phone, smart TV and laptop) is too much for my 100mb connection... and that my small 1 bedroom flat can't rely on being covered by wifi signal when it's actually TINY???

I have had periods of time where the service has been ok and that's only been when a few of the flats in the building have been empty. We are all stuck with relying on Virgin as the speeds we get from any other provider are about 4mb download and 0.5mb upload and that's not enough for me to be able to work from home which I have to do half the week.  

Virgin are refusing to actually acknowledge this issue, as it's been going on for years and nothing has been done. The customer service is terrible and I just go round and round in circles with them. I have spoken to other residents who all have had the same conversations. Virgin our so happy to take our money without providing the proper service. 

Has anyone else had this problem too, I'm at wits end....

5 REPLIES 5

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Make a formal complaint, and get all your fellow residents to do the same.  If you don't get satisfaction you can take it to the independent adjudicator.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/contact-us/complaints/broadband-tv-phone

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it’s setup correctly at the cabinet I don’t think you should have any problems. After all the feed just get joined together at the street cabinet and I think one tap can support 8 feeds.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

thanks for the message. Wonder what it is then. When it goes down it doesn’t say there’s an area problem 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It's not working as it should, and it's Virgin's job to come and fix it.  If they won't do so you'll need to make a complaint. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

HI jamesbenn

Can I first of all apologise for the continued issues with your connection, feed and general por service from us 

I would also like to thankyou for bringing this to our attention on here 

We can now look at getting this fully investigated 

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L