cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wall socket

EMILY999
Tuning in

Hello, I have no VM wall socket and none that the isolator cable will fit. Please can someone message to arrange set up? Thank you.

16 REPLIES 16

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Some properties do not have a wall socket, only a cable.  You need to go outside and locate the brown or grey omnibox on the wall.  You should see a cable going through the wall and if you trace this inside, you should get the cable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

VM was installed in the street while I have been living here. No box has been added to my terraced house outside or inside. The brown cable in (which was here when I moved in) has exactly the same connector as the isolator cable (I.e. a pin not a hole for the pin). Please advise.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

post a photo of the cable end but if it is VM then all you need is one of these to connect the isolator cable

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

Tony.
Sacked VIP

20220102_175516.jpg

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

thats a standard aerial cable - no good for a VM connection

not all installs have an internal box

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

if you find a cable you need one of these to attach the cable that came with the quick start kit

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Good Morning @EMILY999, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and a Happy New Year to you!

Are you able to provide photograph, as requested by @-tony- so we can advise you further?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

@EMILY999 wrote:

VM was installed in the street while I have been living here. No box has been added to my terraced house outside or inside. The brown cable in (which was here when I moved in) has exactly the same connector as the isolator cable (I.e. a pin not a hole for the pin). Please advise.

Sounds like you need an engineer to install a cable from the street to the property. If you have been living in the property whilst the cable in the street was laid, and never been a customer to Virgin before. When VM install cable to the street, they don't put boxes on the wall until the occupants become a customer. This seems to be the case here.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Stobbsy74 wrote:

Sounds like you need an engineer to install a cable from the street to the property. If you have been living in the property whilst the cable in the street was laid, and never been a customer to Virgin before. When VM install cable to the street, they don't put boxes on the wall until the occupants become a customer. This seems to be the case here.

In that case the user should never have received a Quickstart kit, as these are only sent out to properties that are listed as being serviced by VM

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

20220103_120235.jpgThese are the cables in from the outside. There is definitely no VM box on the outside.  Please can someone check my address and confirm whether VM was installed at this house. I moved in in 2017. Thank you for advising on next steps.