Menu
Tonit78
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No wall socket for virgin media

I spoke to VM chat about my mums flat, she has just moved in. They said she could use the quick start, so no engineer required. They said order it and if she has issues they will send an engineer to look at it free of charge.

My mum has looked round the whole flat and cannot find a socket for virgin media anywhere. Is anyone able to help, as she is elderly and is getting really worried about this. Unfortunately i don't live close to her else i would have gone and sorted it myself. Is there anything we can do? Thank you

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: No wall socket for virgin media

VM will only normally offer QS to addresses where there has been a recent connection. The thing is you need to know what you are looking for. VM only show the types of connection they have installed in the past few years. Previous to VM there were many other cable companies that either went bust, or were absorbed by others. These all used different looking outlet boxes, some with the company logo, some not. All of them still work perfectly well to connect up to VM.

The best thing to do is look on the outside for a grey or brown box with a Siamese cable (two cables bonded together) coming out of the ground, & then trace any wiring from this to an internal point if it still exists. Flats in some multi storey blocks are wired internally & it is more tricky finding the right sockets with these as the outlets may be multi purpose.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

There may not be a socket. It might just be a cable coming into the room. Look for a thick white cable with a female screw connector on the end. 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It helps to know a bit about the history of Virgin Media, of how to came about following major consolidations in the cable industry. So, there are many properties which have sockets installed by predecessor companies such as Telewest and NTL, and these sockets should still be usable. If you find a non-VM socket which you cannot identify post a photo of it.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos