Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No wall socket, cable plugs directly into Tivo box

I'm about to receive our QS broadband package. I have looked at our current wiring. I'm in a block of flats, the whole building is wired with Cable. When we had ours connected up, early 200?, a wire was run from outside our own front door all the way through, around and finishing behind the tv with a 'plug' to fix directly into what is now a Tivo box. 

It has never before been an issue as we have only needed the cable feed. Now I find I will need a socket into which I can plug an Isolator cable. As the connector on the end of the current cable is a plug I can't simply join the cables together! The equipment will be here in two days time, 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: No wall socket, cable plugs directly into Tivo box

@Roger_and_Lola wrote:

I'm about to receive our QS broadband package. I have looked at our current wiring. I'm in a block of flats, the whole building is wired with Cable. When we had ours connected up, early 200?, a wire was run from outside our own front door all the way through, around and finishing behind the tv with a 'plug' to fix directly into what is now a Tivo box. 

It has never before been an issue as we have only needed the cable feed. Now I find I will need a socket into which I can plug an Isolator cable. As the connector on the end of the current cable is a plug I can't simply join the cables together! The equipment will be here in two days time, 

Would you mind posting an image of what you have currently, RE: cabling?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I presume you now have a hub and a V6/TiVo box to connect up to this cable that is just a male F type plug on the end. What you need is a time female to female F adapter. You can then connect the ‘kit’ provided lead to this. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Well scrambling under th tv and moving the Tivo aside for the picture of the cable end and Tivo socket, I spotted what looks to be an Isolator cable. Might this be the solution to the problem? Other than those two pictures, everywhere is just one long cable running from the front door to under the tv!

Cheers

Didn't spot this beforeDidn't spot this beforeBack of Tivo boxBack of Tivo box

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_and_Lola wrote:

Hi,

Well scrambling under th tv and moving the Tivo aside for the picture of the cable end and Tivo socket, I spotted what looks to be an Isolator cable. Might this be the solution to the problem? Other than those two pictures, everywhere is just one long cable running from the front door to under the tv!

Cheers

Didn't spot this beforeDidn't spot this beforeBack of Tivo boxBack of Tivo box

You'll still need a splitter to plug the HUB into the same 'feed'.

Unsure if that comes in the kit as it would usually require an engineer to adjust the levels.

I'm assuming that Tivo box is from Virgin?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Carl,

Firstly, thanks for your help.

This link is a pdf, looks a VM authered, showing the installation guide including equipment supplied. Unless the kit has changed since this was written, the splitter does come in the kit.

So, still unhappy that all was ok, I decided to pull all the furniture out early, disconnect things and take as good a look as I could get. The pictures show the external feed cable that ends up going into that little white casing.. Where it feeds in it just disappears into a hole. Coming out of the other end is what seems to be a male plug, a barrel with a thread. Attached to this is a short cable with female connectors at both ends, one of which attaches directly into the back of the old Tivo. I tried undoing the connector attached to that white casing. Although it was tight to start off the connector soon started turning easily. I turned, and turned, and turned, and checked, and the barrel thread coming out of the casing was turning with the connector. So there is no way I can disconnect that short cable - and it has the male connector thread coming out of the open end that I need, but anything less than a hatchet job on the that thread might hold it firm enough to shift the female connector. The white plastic casing I cannot believe is anything more than some sort of safety connector but I do not want to remove it. It has a warning message "electrical safety component inside; do not remove". There are no other markings. So I will still need to attach the isolator cable and for that I need a male connector. The line of cables, connectors and converters is beginning to grow, I am concerned about the possibilities of a poor joint at any one of those, and obviously the more joints you have, the more chances you get!Plastic casing - male thread coming out,Plastic casing - male thread coming out,Short connection cable between plastic casing and tv boxShort connection cable between plastic casing and tv box

Thanks, Roger

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The short white cable effectively replaces the 'Isolator cable'.

From there everthing else is as per the pdf.

Unless the HUB stats are out of spec once everything is connected up, which we can check for you, I wouldn't be concerned about omitting the Isolator cable.