cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No suitable point for quickstart wifi?

Ggb1
Joining in

I was approved for quickstart installation. The virgin media point in my home is not usable for  this as far as I can tell and seems to be a screw in point with "male" looking attachments without any ridging on the inside of the cable. The connecting cable I was sent has "push me in don't screw" on the cables and ridging around the connecting part. None of my potential receptacles look compatible and my uneducated guess would be this is a new generation of cable for a very old virgin media connection point in my house!

It looks like my cable will need a "female" point to push the cable in and make the connection.

I cannot unscrew these "male" looking connections. Will I need an engineer to come out?

I am not sure how to attach pictures to this post!

4 REPLIES 4

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

what you describe sounds possible - old connections were screw and ne cables are push but they should work together - if its just a cable coming in rather than a box then you maybe need one of these

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

photos would help

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Compress_20230211_153943_3795.jpg

 above is what's behind the virgin media plate

Compress_20230211_153948_8421.jpg

Compress_20230211_153952_2578.jpg

 above 2 pics is what's coming out of it

And below is my cable to go into the wall socket 

Compress_20230211_153957_7281.jpg

 see how I've got 2 pointy bits? They don't look compatible to me

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

EDIT 

On second look the QuickStart cable will push onto the blue isolator TV/Data port. Just unscrew the old cable from it. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Adduxi wrote:

EDIT 

On second look the QuickStart cable will push onto the blue isolator TV/Data port. Just unscrew the old cable from it. 

cannot agree with that its got an 8Db attenuator there for a reason you would think so i wold leave that in the circuit 

to the OP just screw whats there into the back of the hub - see if it fires up - if it does post the upstream and downstream levels

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

might be a bit more complicated than that as it will be the first log in but just follow what you see as instructions

Tony.
Sacked VIP