cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service since thunderstorm

peter50
On our wavelength

Our internet connection dropped after a thunderstorm today Sunday.

Had flashing green light.

Virgin media status check said engineer will visit Wednesday.

Tried a hard reset 60 seconds following advice on here.

This is the network log.

Any help before Wednesday appreciated.

01-01-1970 01:16:05 critical Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

01-01-1970 01:15:40 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

01-01-1970 01:15:39 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

01-01-1970 01:14:51 critical Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

01-01-1970 01:14:08 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

01-01-1970 01:14:01 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

01-01-1970 01:13:08 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

01-01-1970 01:13:01 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

01-01-1970 01:11:56 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

01-01-1970 01:11:51 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

5 REPLIES 5

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey peter50,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your connection since a thunder storm on Saturday, I have looked into this on the system and I can see that you have been able to arrange a technician appointment to resolve the issues.

If you get a chance, please let us know how the visit goes.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

peter50
On our wavelength

The engineer was able to restore service by replacing the hub. 

The same lightning event caused damage to other equipment connected to the hub by ethernet. A Netgear Orbi Router and a Netgear pro switch.

These damaged devices all had surge protection on the power side.

The nearest lightning strikes recorded were about a mile or two away.

I have read the other threads on the forum about lightning causing surges via the coax cable.

I would be interested in any advice on using surge protection on cat 5 wiring in the house.

I guess these are quite rare events.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What you had was an induction surge. Most mains surge protectors will protect against mains variation spikes within a defined limit. Outside that limit they may not. You will find very few that will provide any guarantees against lightning surges, so you need to look through the literature before buying (I buy mine from APC). Check any surge indicator lights on your existing ones, as a large single surge will blow these at which point they are bypassed, which then leaves you kit unprotected. If the indicators are out then replace ASAP.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

peter50
On our wavelength

Thanks for the very helpful response.

Following up on your response I have read some more about surge protection. This article helped my understanding.

https://prosurge.com/surge-protection-device/

My equipment was protected on the power side by APC ES700 uninterruptible power supplies.

I understand that this is not invinceable.

Having experienced the loss of some equipment I am considering what would be reasonable to do to prevent it happening again.

Could you comment on the Ethernet side. There are multiple similar reports on the forum of surges spreading through the Ethernet cables and speculation that these surges enter the home via the Virgin Coax.

I have ordered an ethernet surge protector to evaluate.

Gas Discharge Surge suppressors are sold for coax cable but that's on the Virgin owned side.

Screenshot_20230619_182015_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If a thunderstorm is forecast disconnect cables including coax (from VM, satellite or aerial) and phone and pull plugs from sockets.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection