Menu
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 11 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: No internet, hub says it's "updating"

@johnaa wrote:

The installation guide step 1 is 'Activate your service'.  My service is already activated so I skipped that step. 

That could be the problem. When I upgraded to the Hub 3 about two years ago, it was necessary to activate the hub even though my broadband service was already active. This simply involved calling a freephone number to an automated service. As far as I know any new box/hub from Virgin requires activation.. 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 12 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Tudor, pity the dog was away.  

Have now 'activated service' and have working internet on hub 3.  So it looks like 'activate you service' really does mean 'activate service on your new device'.

But I now have a red permanent light on the bottom of the modem which according to the guide 'anything colour other that white' means 'may have connection issues'. 

I call Virgin support and they tell me unconfidentally that it's because:
it's 'taking some signals' or 
Virgin might be doing some diagnostics. 

She didn't appear to have a Hub 3 manual either.  Perhaps it's because I'm running in modem mode. 

But she suggests I wait a few hours, then if still red, reboot. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 13 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Modem only mode is magenta so it can be hard to see the color correctly I have mine in mode only mode and looking at it at different angles looks red, purple or pink.

Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @cje85.

Thanks @DJ_Shadow1966.  How do you know 'Modem only mode is magenta' ?  Have you seen a user guide that Virgin support staff don't have? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello

It is all over the net and has been posted many times in the forum that the hub when in modem only mode it is magenta. Both VM staff members and also VIP members have made this comment.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 16 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@johnaa wrote:

Thanks @cje85.

Thanks @DJ_Shadow1966.  How do you know 'Modem only mode is magenta' ?  Have you seen a user guide that Virgin support staff don't have? 

There is a VM help page which may throw some light (sorry..) on this topic: 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-what-do-the-lights-on-your-hub-mean#hub3

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos