cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No cabling - installation takes 4 weeks

Bubble3
Tuning in
Hi, help needed. I got my virgin media hub a couple of weeks ago now. Unfortunately had no internet when I connected it because I didn’t have a white box. Had an engineer come round 3 days after receiving hub, he confirmed no white box inside the house to connect to and i would need this installed by a separate team. He said this would take 24-48 hours. I didn’t hear anything and eventually called virgin media who confirmed I couldn’t get an appointment until the next Monday (7 days later). Same sort of engineer shows up and exclaims that previous engineer should have installed white box but I would still need cabling installed outside. He would book that in then and there. I got a text confirming this would be the next day, but the team were a no show. I’ve now been without internet for 14 days since I moved into my new property and virgin have refused to provide any alternative for me to have internet. Can any moderators assist with when I should expect the cabling team? Is this usually quick? Do they visit twice? The engineer seemed to imply they would show up initially and recon before getting council permission? Is that correct? He also said he would book in and it would be in next couple of days, but when I speak to virgin media they say the next engineer availability is not until mid-September which sounds like a different team to what I’m waiting for for the cable laying? Surely I can’t be waiting until mid September when I got my internet hub mid august????
13 REPLIES 13

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Start keeping detailed notes of all VM's bungling (dates, times, phone calls, failed visits, no-shows etc.) as you go along.

If you have had a failed 'Quick Start' installation then VM's own compensation scheme deems that as a fault (point 6 below)

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/automatic-compensation

so you should be compensated at a rate of £9.33 per day, from 2 working days after you informed VM of your failed connection attempt.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

Topics on here regularly describe VM trying to dodge, or reduce, making the correct compensation payments though, which is why you need to keep detailed notes as you go along. In all likelihood you will have to escalate to aribitration to get paid the full compensation.

It has been reported on here in the past that VM only gives out mobile dongles when they expect a long installation delay (8+ weeks). Those who have received a VM dongle have reported they were hard to get hold of and didn't work that well.

You should make some backup plans while you wait such as your own mobile connection (such as unlimited data SIM on a rolling monthly contract, mobile hotspot etc. etc.)

Check your bank account and see if VM has started charging you yet for the (non-) service.

Bubble3
Tuning in

Thanks, this is helpful but at the same time it’s utterly ridiculous that they can let this happen, isn’t it?

The customer service team are also useless and can’t seem to understand anything you explain to them about the issue. So fixed on their route of script.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Indeed, ridiculous but this is the arrangement that VM has created with its cabling sub-contractors. You will find dozens of similar topics on this forum.

The people you speak to on the phone have zero idea about, or influence in, the installation process. They report just what they see on the screen in front of them. In similar topics on here, they regularly 'guarantee' that an installation will take place on the next given date but it's a worthless promise and, invariably, no installation actually happens on the next given date.

VM will have sent you a 'Quick Start' kit if the property had a working VM connection at some point in the not-too-distant past.

What often happens is that past cabling from VM can be ripped out by owners during refurbishments if the owner no longer use VM. Satellite installers or other broadband suppliers can also remove cables and reuse holes in the wall for their own cables to avoid drilling new ones. People often cut and remove VM's unused outside cables in the garden due to the poor quality of installation and visual impact of the cable/conduit.

Have you tried to find any trace of where the cable may have come in to your property in the past?

Depending on what type of home you have (house, flat etc.) you may be able to locate a small access plate on the pavement outside and/or a plastic junction box on the outside wall of the building where the cable from the street terminates. You may find a cut cable somewhere along the way outside.

Are you talking to the pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734 when you make your enquiries? They may be as clueless as anyone else you might talk to at VM but they would be the correct bunch of people regarding installations.

Bigrich89
Tuning in

I’ve just moved into a new build property, pre wired for VM, my first install date was 24/8/23 then got pushed back to 21/9/23 now it’s 8/9/23. Had the survey guy come and have a look outside. ( all green cable duct and coax cable coming out of property) sure I’ve seen the same guy go to about 3 more houses on the street. But still nobody to do the pre pull yet. Keep getting told they are booked in for that day, but no one ever arrives. All they have to do is pull the cables through I believe. 

IMG_0350.jpeg

Hi Bubble3,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've had with getting your services up and running. 

I have taken a look on our side and it looks as though you have already spoken with the team. 

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance. 

^Martin

Martin still nothing, was meant to be resolved Friday. No engineers showed up. 2 were booked 8-13:00 and neither showed up. Still without internet and now next option is 14 September which is unacceptable given the fact that the contractors never turned up. Utterly ridiculous….

@Martin, further to the below response. Have called virgin media, they couldn’t assist and said someone would call me back within 15-20 mins. That was yesterday at 7pm. Again not had anything since.

I just want an engineer to come and install wiring externally, council have provided approval but no one has turned up. I think this is utterly ridiculous that virgin media are unable to provide accurate and guaranteed time frames with their sub contractors. It is a disgrace that I have moved into a property and over two weeks later I am still without internet and being told it will be another 2 weeks at a minimum (that’s even if they actually turn up which based on all other comments and discussions on this forum is unlikely). It is unacceptable and intend to make a complaint to ofcom.

Good Morning @Bubble3, thanks for coming back to us and I'm sorry for the frustration this has been causing you.

Check out the envelope in the top right hand corner, and I'll see if I can gain any movement on this for you.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Bubble3
Tuning in

As an update for this forum. 

My issue remains outstanding and I have been waiting for the VM team to explain the issue and the delay. I have been communicating with VM on a bi-daily basis. But they still wait on internal updates.

I question what the point is in waiting for an response if I’m going to wait until the 1st of October for them to reply.

It is totally unacceptable and again will be updating my complaint at Ofcom. 

No one is even able to tell me why my engineers never turned up on the day they were meant to and why work has been done but not finished.  This should be simple, let alone the wider issue of having such a delay for my work to be done now.

I am incredibly annoyed, frustrated, disappointed. Virgin media have been a joke to date on this matter and need to do better.

DO NOT USE VIRGIN MEDIA.