Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

No broadband wall socket

Hello there, 

While signing up to boradband via online i was told if i had the NTL junction boxes i could connect to virgin. I ordered the quick start pack which i have received but there is no where to connect the coaxial cable on the NTL box. There are just wires going inside of it. My current broadband uses the phone line with the RJ45 port. Can i plug this into my hub to get connected?

From reading other forum posts it looks like i need an engineer to come out but i cannot really find out how to do this on the site. 

I hope you can help.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: No broadband wall socket

you cannot use the phone line - post some pics of the wall box and the wires that go into it 

where does the other end of these wires go and what connectors are on them

Tony
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi tony, 

thanks for your quick reply, Here is the brown NTL box on the outside of my house  (images attached), my neighbour has a similar one except his says "virgin media". On the other side of the box theres a phone line that goes to a virgin media phone (image attached) box and 2 coxial cables which have BSKYB written on them which go to the TV. 

Thank you again for your help 

IMG_2332 (1).JPG

IMG_2333 (1).JPG

IMG_2335 (1).JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

hard to know but there are 2 cables showing on the last picture - the black one is probarbly the connection to the cabinet - if so it will go down to the ground - the white one is the interesting one imo - difficult to know how thick it is - if it 4 or 5mm then its the phone line - if its 10mm or there abouts then its coax - so if it is coax follow that - it should go into the property

the 2 sky cable are of no interest and if sky was fitted after VM they may have butchered the VM cables

if all the above fails its worth cutting the cable tie on the ntl box and seeing if there are other cables going through the wall - if you do look inside post some pics

Tony
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi tony, thanks for your help, 

Ive just looked inside the NTL box and it shows 2 cables coming up from the ground and going towards the direction of the street. 

The other side inside the box however isnt connected to anything, it seems like whoever installed sky shoved the white wires to the dish into the same hole these wires previously occupied into the house. I have attached a picture for your reference. One of the coax cables looks fine while the other is completely butchered. 

Can you recommend a best course of action going forwards.

Many thanks  

IMG_2346.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

yep - typical sky - assuming the black cable is live then an easy install but you need a tech to do it - you can try the phone or wait here for one of the VM people - not sure what they can book for you but if they can get a tech out thats the easiest way

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

thank you so much for your help, 

would you be able to give me the best number to call them on 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

there are some text numbers - have a search - you leave a message and they get back to you but posts are saying that can be days - there are a few VM techs on the board working from home - hopefully one will pick the thread up - they can certainly book techs

Tony
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

heres a thought - if theres a delay in getting a tech

afaik the cable in the quick start box has an isolater built into it which needs to be in place - if you can pass that through the wall and connect it to the black cable - if all is ok you will be up and running - you need a barrel connector to connect the 2 cable - plenty on ebay for £1

you need to use VM cable - anything else can cause problems

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

i will try this tony, thanks alot. 

If possible, can i pass the black wire on the outside through the whole and have the connection indoors?

0 Kudos