Menu
Genuist108
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No Virgin Media wall socket!

I was sent a QuickStart package, which as I understand it means that Virgin thinks the building is capable of fibre. 

I followed the wire from brown box outside, up to my first floor flat and the first picture shows what comes out. I've tried plugging the router cable into both the TV and FM ports on this 1980s looking Vocom isolator, but no dice.

The second picture shows the cable from the brown box minus the 1980s looking Vocom isolator. I've tried screwing this directly into the Hub, but so far remain on the green flashing light. 

Help! (please)

20210505_163522.jpgWire minus 1980s isolatorWire minus 1980s isolator

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Virgin Media wall socket!

nothing wrong with what you have tried - you dont need the isolator long term if its faulty - you would need one of these to join the isolator cable that came with the quickstart to the in coming cable

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

so with the hub connected in either config have you activated it - 0800 953 9500 - if not try that 

have you checked inside the external box to make sure the cable is actually connected - if it is and activating the hub does not help you need a tech

Tony
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

On that isolator it's the TV side that provides broadband, if it doesn't work after that you need a technician 

Genuist108
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the swift response. I've had a peer in the brown box and there certainly seem to be a few cables loose. Don't think I'm going to mess about with it so I shall have to take the call the tech advice.

Ordered the thing from B&Q anyway. I'll give it a go when it arrives.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

post a pic of the outside box and the cables

Tony
0 Kudos
Genuist108
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Here you go! 

20210506_183249 (wecompress.com).jpg20210506_183256 (wecompress.com).jpg

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thats certainly a mess - 

the thin wired ones are phone cables - pull those out of the way to get a cleared picture

one cable should be coming up from the ground - i would expect that to connect into the spliter on the single side but i may be wrong - turn the splitter round and post a pic of that - assuming there is a cable rising from the ground where does it go to - is the the one thats disconnected 

i am further puzzled by the fact all those cables are black but the internal one is white - there may be a joint somewhere or maybe the internal one is something else

you need to post some more info - if its not obvious you need to book a tech to sort it out

EDIT - looking again the spitter is doing nothing but there looks to be a cable behind it with a joint - is that coming from the ground and is it connected to the white internal cable - if so that looks useful

Tony
0 Kudos
Genuist108
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So, from what I can tell, the cable coming from the ground is directly connected to the top floor flat, and from what I can see (view obscured), my connection is the one in the top of the splitter. Is it really as simple as connecting the top floor and mine to the splitter and then the splitter to the bottom cable?! I hope so!

20210506_201907 (wecompress.com).jpg20210506_201726 (wecompress.com).jpg20210506_201749 (wecompress.com).jpg

0 Kudos
Genuist108
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Edit - Am now 95% sure that it's literally just a case of connecting everything up to the splitter. Phoned Virgin anyway, they tried all the usual tricks remotely - no such luck, and told them about the cable situation. Nice lady on the phone wouldn't let me touch it with a barge pole (probably a sensible policy), so they're sending out a tech tomorrow. Pretty swift turnaround there!

Thanks all for the help. I feel I've learnt a great deal on this brown box odyssey.
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

a wise decision - i think your assessment is correct but adding the splitter into upstairs will affect the levels on that connection so may need adjusting - if you know the people in the upstairs flat it might be useful to see if they are going to be about when the tech comes

Tony
0 Kudos