cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Virgin Media Wall Socket

cdliddell
Tuning in

I received my installation kit for my broadband but I don't have a Virgin Media socket anywhere to install it.

My girlfriend tells me the previous owners had Virgin TV but where she thinks the socket was is just a cable that looks like a coaxial connection and another wire, no socket or anything. None of the wires included in the kit fit so I'm unsure how to proceed with installing. Can anyone help? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

that looks useful - you really need one of these to connect the isolator cable

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

if you can pull it a bit maybe you could connect the hub to see if the connection works - if it does get yourself down to B & Q or similar and get a connector 

if you can make the connection and it does not work you need a tech to sort things out

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Some installs are just a cable, no socket. Look outside for the omnibox on the wall and trace the cable to the inside. 
A photo of the existing cables would help.  VM only send QuickStart kits to properties that had VM in the past. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi there, 

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look for the box outside and get a pic of the cables inside when I get home from work tonight. Thanks! 👍

Hi there,

I'm back from work now and managed to snap some pics of the cables inside the house. I had a look outside to see where they led to but they head downwards and into a kind of flower bed we have full of gravel and stuff. I had a dig at it to see if I could find the box but it seems to be pretty well buried! 

20220111_172642.jpg

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

that looks useful - you really need one of these to connect the isolator cable

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

if you can pull it a bit maybe you could connect the hub to see if the connection works - if it does get yourself down to B & Q or similar and get a connector 

if you can make the connection and it does not work you need a tech to sort things out

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Cheers Tony, I'll head into B&Q to get one tomorrow.

If I do need to get an engineer out to get a socket fitted how do I get in touch with Virgin to organise that? I've been trying to get in touch with them through the live chat and calling but they seem to be too busy to get much response. Is there any easy way to book an engineer? 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

see what you find - if it works and you are happy with just the cable coming in then the jobs good - if it does not work or you want an internal box keep trying on the phone or post back here and VM will sort a tech out

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi Tony, 

I just got it connected through the small bit of cable at the wall there, so it looks like the correct adapter will do the trick once I get to a B&Q. 

That'll be fine really, the cables stuck in a corner behind the sofa, quite honestly I had no idea it was there until the missus told me! 😂

Cheers for the help, think that'll be the problem sorted 👍