Menu
tsirbasraf
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No Virgin Media Wall Socket

Hello VM community,

I had ordered a VM QuickStart package, but apparently the cable doesn't fit the wall socket. I realised that the socket is from a different company afterwards.

So I think I need a technician to install in my house the Virgin Media Wall Socket. To do that I reached VM by phone, and they told me that I should contact a local electrician and he will be able to do that for me, which seems a bit odd. Does anyone know if that is the case?

For further information I have attached a photo of my external brown box and the available socket in my home.

1) Brown box outside house

Brown box outside houseBrown box outside house

2) Box inside home

Socket inside houseSocket inside house

Looking forward for your help.

Thanks,

Rafael

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Virgin Media Wall Socket

thats completely wrong about a local sparky - where they get that from i have no idea - was it a UK agent or offshore - i will feed it back

that looks like a VM box on the outside wall but have never seen one so high - is it a house or flats 

not sure whats inside but

start outside and look at that external wall box - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

if they have allowed self install then the system says there has been a VM install there in the past

Tony
0 Kudos
tsirbasraf
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony,

thank you very much for your reply.

So, this is a house not a flat. I have already followed the cable from outside inside. That's how I find the box inside the house on the first place. 

Is there a chance someone had removed the VM socket then? Because I have searched the whole house and I can't find anything.

Do you have any idea on what I should do now? Should I call back and ask again for an engineer to visit?

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Isn’t that the co-ax I’ve circled?

71C9DE69-9F94-4C2F-BC06-179895E21D2F.jpeg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tsirbasraf
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes this is one side of the cable that goes into something like a "splitter", for TV and Broadband.

The other end of this cable is the one that I have to fit on the Virgin Media Socket, which I don't have in my home.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

its always possible internal boxes have been removed 

there is though some confusion in my mind to the external box - the picture is not clear but to have a VM omnibox in that position is pretty unique - personally i dont think it is a VM box - the fitting on the wall hext to it looks like a Sky dish bracket so i am speculating the brown box belongs to Sky

the VM box is more likely to be just above ground level on the house wall facing the road - is there an entry point on the pavemeny - a small square cover or a triangular one - if so look on the house wall near there for the VM external box

next - what is that twin white cable you have connected the quick start cable to and where does it go - not saying its not VM but again unlikely

Tony
0 Kudos
tsirbasraf
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You are probably right, the external brown box is probably not from Virgin Media. Unfortunately there is nothing else outside the front of the house, neither is any other cable coming inside the house. 

The twin cable is the from the QuickStart package of VM. I should have removed that from the photos, it is a "splitter" for the Broadband and TV. It is not connected anywhere.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

then you need a tech to see whats happened to a previous install - you need to ring  0345 454 1111 - lines are busy but 8 in the morning is usually the best time.

Tony
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Enhance the first picture a little more and it becomes obvious this is a BT installation:

IMG_2646b.jpg

VM are starting to use telegraph poles now, but not for coax.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tsirbasraf
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello everyone,

I managed to arrange an engineer visit yesterday through the phone. A great guy (Dan) came today and fixed everything for me.

That brown box was not from Virgin Media, he had to install a new one.

Everything is in place now and I have a nice, steady internet connection. 😁

Thank you for your help,

Rafael

0 Kudos