cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Virgin Media Wall Socket

Stevlar
Joining in

I have just received the Quick Install kit as my property has had VM in the past, but I have no wall socket to connect the isolator cable to. There is an external brown box and two cables that come through the wall from it, but no way to connect them to the router. 

I’ve contacted VM who said I need an engineer (I wish they had offered me that instead of the self install in the first place to be honest, but that’s another matter) but can’t get one to me at a time I can be there until next week - which with teenagers at home who desperately need to send stupid pictures to their mates on Instagram means I may not survive that long. 

Any chance I can do something with these random cables that might help, or is it a lost cause and I just have to face the inevitable teenage meltdowns? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Post some clear photos of the cable(s)/connector(s) inside which come from the brown box. Some VM installations do not have an internal wall box, just a trailing lead.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Post some clear photos of the cable(s)/connector(s) inside which come from the brown box. Some VM installations do not have an internal wall box, just a trailing lead.

31660CE9-809D-480A-ACC8-B8116588547A.jpeg

4CEAD4B9-148E-4C76-91C0-DEB378F999FC.jpeg

55A740A8-0589-4071-9CC6-EB124F0141F6.jpeg

C470E974-C261-4A71-8257-8EEBD26BE6F5.jpeg

 I hope these are ok - excuse the dust! 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The connector with the yellow label looks like your VM connection, the other two look like satellite.

Your outside box looks like one for a fibre connection to the property (not one I am familiar with) rather than coax.

What items have VM supplied you with to make the connections?

As I understand it, the fibre converter in the box outside needs to be powered from inside by a small power supply and fed into the coax by a power injector.

This link shows an example setup that someone posted online (example only, your particular setup may differ)

https://www.chatteris.biz/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Virgin-Layout-version-3.jpg

Power injector is top right and power supply is the small white unit plugged into the power strip in the bottom RHS picture. Have you got those bits to hand?

Others will know more about this setup and will be able to comment further.