Menu
jojof
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

No Internet since around 10:30 this morning - Access Denied

Hi,

Since this morning I've had no Internet. I looked at the cable modem and it's showing status as "Access Denied". I'm in ME7 area.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No Internet since around 10:30 this morning - Access Denied

What Hub is it and what are its lights ding/showing?

Have you checked first for “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
jojof
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Internet since around 10:30 this morning - Access Denied

Thanks for the response! I've been through all of that (no issues found) and, at the suggestion of Virgin's twitter team, had just registered and raised the question here. That must have done the trick as the service literally just recovered and looks to be working just fine. Typical of technology 🙂

0 Kudos
jojof
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hub status "Access Denied"

Any VM staff here who can advise/help?

Last week I lost Internet connectivity, hub status was showing as "Access Denied". It eventually self-recovered after many hours.

Today it's done the same thing. I've tried power-cycling hub and to no effect. I'm in ME7 area but service status shows no reported issues and web-based self check took me to booking an engineer (which I've done but expect it will self resolve before they can arrive end of the week).

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub status "Access Denied"

@jojof wrote:

Any VM staff here who can advise/help?

Last week I lost Internet connectivity, hub status was showing as "Access Denied". It eventually self-recovered after many hours.

Today it's done the same thing. I've tried power-cycling hub and to no effect. I'm in ME7 area but service status shows no reported issues and web-based self check took me to booking an engineer (which I've done but expect it will self resolve before they can arrive end of the week).

Thanks in advance.

@jojof I have merged your two threads to make it easier for everyone to follow as they are for the same issue.  Also multiple threads for the same issue is against the forum rules.

If you have already booked an engineer visit there is not much more the staff here can do.  Even though it is an intermittent issue the engineer should still be able to diagnose the cause and resolve it.

If the visit does not resolve the issue then please post back on this thread and the staff will try to help.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jojof
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help/advice Scott.

My main concern is that issue will self resolve as it did last week and there will be nothing for engineer to do. If it does self resolve I wonder if it's ok to still keep the engineer appt or might there be some sort of penalty/charge if it's working when they arrive?

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums jojof, and I'm sorry to hear of the current issues with the broadband connection

Can you tell me if you've attempted a pin hole reset on the hub?

Currently the hub is showing as unreachable on our system, is this currently switched on?

I can see the engineer appointment is booked in for you, but it would be interesting to see if a reset would allow you to at least gain a connection, as there isn't currently an outage showing in the local area

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
jojof
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Hub is switched on and current has solid green light at bottom and flashing green arrows. Admin interface status is showing "Access Denied" and "Network Access: Not Allowed".

I have not yet tried a pinhole reset but will do that now and see if there's any improvement.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@jojof wrote:

Thanks for the help/advice Scott.

My main concern is that issue will self resolve as it did last week and there will be nothing for engineer to do. If it does self resolve I wonder if it's ok to still keep the engineer appt or might there be some sort of penalty/charge if it's working when they arrive?

If you are having regular issues then it is not "self resolving" it is just an intermittent fault rather than a permanent fault.  If the online diagnosis showed a fault and allowed you to book a visit then you won't be charged as the VM system recommended the booking.  Just explain to the engineer that it is intermittent, as that may help them with diagnosis.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jojof
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I've performed the pinhole reset. Results:

Hub 3.0 status overview: Internet (Access denied)

Advanced settings/Tools/Network status/Configuration: Network access Not allowed

So same as before 😞

Network log has entries including:

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 

Guess I'll need to wait for engineer / self-recovery.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

0 Kudos