Menu
garyevs99
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

New user - connection queries

Hi

I have just signed up for a broadband, phone & TV package, due to be installed in a couple of weeks.

I have read a lot of conflicting information about the various connections needed for this setup.  I need some firm information, as I have to make provision to run some of the cables under floors etc on installation day.  I want to make it as easy as possible for the engineers so that they don't say no Smiley Happy

I need the TV box in the downstairs lounge, and the hub in an upstairs room.  The phone preferably in the hall, but can be next to the hub if needed.

From the info I have read, I have made some assumptions in my queries below, if these are incorrect, please let me know.

So, my questions are:

I believe that they use fibre (or is it co-ax) from the pavement box to the house, put an omni box on the wall outside containing a splitter.  They can then pass 2 co-ax cables through the wall, one for the V6 box, and one to run to the hub upstairs ? I want this done internally and not going around the outside of the house and nailed to the wall.

What does the V6 box use the internet for ? I thought that pretty much everything came down the fibre connection.

Will a wi-fi connection be ok for this ?  If an ethernet connection is really needed, I currently have a PC installed in the lounge connected to my router with powerline adapters, I could use an additional ethernet switch to run this feed to both the PC and V6 box.

Ideally I would like the phone in the hall.  The cable run from the pavement to the external lounge wall goes right past the hall.  Would they run a spur off this cable to a second box at the hall for the phone, or does it need to be physically plugged in to the hub ?

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: New user - connection queries

@garyevs99 wrote:

Hi

I have just signed up for a broadband, phone & TV package, due to be installed in a couple of weeks.

I have read a lot of conflicting information about the various connections needed for this setup.  I need some firm information, as I have to make provision to run some of the cables under floors etc on installation day.  I want to make it as easy as possible for the engineers so that they don't say no Smiley Happy

I need the TV box in the downstairs lounge, and the hub in an upstairs room.  The phone preferably in the hall, but can be next to the hub if needed.

From the info I have read, I have made some assumptions in my queries below, if these are incorrect, please let me know.

So, my questions are:

I believe that they use fibre (or is it co-ax) from the pavement box to the house, put an omni box on the wall outside containing a splitter.  They can then pass 2 co-ax cables through the wall, one for the V6 box, and one to run to the hub upstairs ? I want this done internally and not going around the outside of the house and nailed to the wall.

Yes, this can be done. If you leave floorboards etc up the install tech can put the wiring where you want.

What does the V6 box use the internet for ? I thought that pretty much everything came down the fibre connection.

The V6 has Cable TV tuners, but no modem, so requires both a connection to the coax (for live TV channels & legacy On Demand) & a connection to the hub by either Ethernet, Powerline or WiFi (for app provided On Demand, EPG updates & firmware updates). Using WiFi can be problematic & it is recommended that a wired connection is used.

Will a wi-fi connection be ok for this ?  If an ethernet connection is really needed, I currently have a PC installed in the lounge connected to my router with powerline adapters, I could use an additional ethernet switch to run this feed to both the PC and V6 box.

See above.

Ideally I would like the phone in the hall.  The cable run from the pavement to the external lounge wall goes right past the hall.  Would they run a spur off this cable to a second box at the hall for the phone, or does it need to be physically plugged in to the hub ?

Virgin now uses VoIP for the telephone, which is provided via a socket on the back of the hub. You will need to feed this down to a telephone point elsewhere if you want it. Virgin can put the wiring in for you, but you may want to consider DECT wireless handsets to avoid a wired connection to the hall (which you would have to buy yourself).

Thanks for any help

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: New user - connection queries

@garyevs99 wrote:

So, my questions are:

Yes they can run the 2 coax cables internally.  If you want them "hidden" you should preinstall conduit tubing (smooth runs) with pull-strings under floorboards, in walls etc to allow the cables to be pulled through.

The EPG, catch up, netflix, etc use the network connection

You have 3 options to connect a V6 to the Hub & so the VM network

1) Connect the V6's (permanently) to the Hub by Cat6 cable (best solution by far and not really that difficult)

2) Improve your wifi signal at the location of the V6's (preferably using the 5GHz band – maybe get a wireless access point).

3) Use a pair of good quality Powerline adapters (if your house circuitry is suitable)

Not sure - I dont have a network connected phone

Thanks for any help

EDIT:  nodrogd beat me to it Smiley Happy

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos