Menu
cupids
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New to Virgin - huge drop in speed when I use my own router. Not sure why.

Hi,

This might be a duplicate post, I tried posting a question, but think it got lost.

I had Virgin installed over the weekend. When I checked my broadband speed with the superhub, it was close to 350Mbps, as expected.  But I want to use my own router, because I have a NAS drive, and the port forwarding is already set up on my own router (TP link TD-W8980).

So, I set the superhub to modem only, and changed the operation mode on my router from "ADSL Modem Rotuer Mode" to "Wireless router mode" (my previous ISP was BT).

The good news is that I have wireless and wired internet to all devices in my house, and I can access my NAS drive fine.

The only snag is that I've noticed a huge drop in speed, down to 50Mbps, even via a wired ethernet connection.

Any idea why?  Maybe I've configured something incorrectly.  Or perhaps the router is a bit rubbish.  I'm surprised though, it's a gigabit router.

Many thanks for any advice.

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New to Virgin - huge drop in speed when I use my own router. Not sure why.

Put the Virgin hub back into router mode, and plug your TP Link into a spare ethernet socket. You might need to reconfigure your TP Link too. 

Plug your test device into the TP Link. 

Do you get the same speed then? 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

From the manual “Wireless Router Mode: In this mode, the device enables multi-users to share Internet via Ethernet WAN (EWAN) using its interchangeable LAN/WAN port and share it wirelessly at 300Mbps wireless 802.11n speeds”

So looks like it’s only a WAP when not using ADSL. Best advise get a proper cable router. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
cupids
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Z92 and Adduxi for for your suggestions.  It's much appreciated.

I managed to solve my problems in the end.

Last week I changed ISP from BT to Virgin. I'd signed up for the 350Mbps package, but being a total novice at setting up networks, my main fear was that I'd be unable to set up the internet at all, or that I wouldn't be able to access my NAS drive (I'd previously used my own router, and set up port forwarding rules etc.).

With some help from the Synology forums, I managed to get internet everywhere, as well as access to my NAS drive.

HOWEVER - using my virgin superhub as a modem only, and using my own old TP link router, I noticed that even direct ethernet connection speeds dropped down to 50Mbps, which was bothering me.

I solved the drop in speed in the end - firstly I upgraded my router to the ASUS RT-AC87U, and then I noticed that rather stupidly, I'd connected everything up with some naff old cat 5 cables, not even cat 5e.

I switched these for cat 5e cables, rebooted everything, and hey presto, I can now connect to everything, and at the speed I paid for. All sorted. Hope it might be of use to anyone who ever faces the same issue.

Cheers all.

0 Kudos