Menu
abtrooper82
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New sim cards for mobile broadband

Hi

I have been sent two new sim cards for my mobile broadband USB dongles, which we have as spares for traveling. As my previous sim cards are working fine and the letter sent with the new sim cards assumes I going to be using them on mobile phones, what do I need to do if anything?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New sim cards for mobile broadband

Old ones will not work after, a yet unpublished, date. So it’s just best to use them now and save you any problems in the future. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
abtrooper82
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's fine but I have tried both the new sims, and they don't work. One dongle is saying cannot connect and the other is saying Insert sim (This one is a later model of the broadband dongle).

Do they need to be activated in a mobile phone.?

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Abtrooper82.

Can we please confirm how your services are today? 

If you're still experiencing some issues are you able to try the SIM cards in alternative handsets? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
abtrooper82
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

THEY ARE NOT FOR MOBILES PHONES !!!!

I cant use the new sim cards, neither seems to work in the mobile broadband dongles I have. Is there a requirement to activate? Should I be able to swap them with no issues?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The only issue I can foresee is if the Dongles are locked to the first SIM card that was inserted. Where were the dongles purchased from if they were from VM then you need to fill in this form to get the unlock code - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/unlock-code-request1

If they were purchased elsewhere and are locked then you will need to contact the company to get the unlock code.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
abtrooper82
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The Sim cards and Dongles are both from Virginmedia. I now have less than 5 days before the old sim cards stop working. I contacted Customer support and they told me the sim cards needed to be activated in a phone. I don't have a phone I can use to this and why should I they are data only sim's no voice contract, just broadband. After waiting for 25mins on the phone for someone to tell me what to do I gave up. 

Surprise, surprise another sim card arrived today and guess what, I need to put this in a phone to activate this. 

**bleep** VirginMedia what is going on, if this is not sorted in the next few days I will be taking my business elsewhere and writing to VM about the service I didn't get.

Would someone please contact me ASAP.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi abtrooper82,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear you haven't been able to activate your new sim cards.

So I can help further I will invite you into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.