Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New mini box connection query

mimiller
Joining in

Hi all,

Hope someone can advise.

My house has a Virgin media outlet in the lounge. I'm currently undergoing building works and will probably join Virgin when they are completed and I move back in. I'm considering also adding a minibus in the new bedroom we are building.

As the building is a shell at the moment I'd rather run the cables to the bedroom NOW, so they can be hidden in the walls rather than have them done externally by an engineer at a later date. My questions therefore are:

1. Which cables need to be into the bedroom?

2. Where do the cables need to run from - is it the existing media outlet in the lounge?

I just want to be in a situation where the engineer can turn up and connect a new outlet in the bedroom without hacking hot run any external cables.

Thanks so much for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Normal advice is that VM wont pre-run any cabling for you so install smooth wide bore conduit tubing containing pull ropes (strong string - several in each tube!) from the location of the Hub to where you want the VM equipment to be located. The VM Techs will then use the "ropes to pull the correct cables through them and connect everything up.

If the lounge isnt a convenient location - then the VM Hub can be located anywhere - provided it is accessible internally and can be easily connected to the outside "omnibox" with internal cable (another conduit ?)

I think VM can offer a site survey ahead of installation to help avoiding any location issues

Note that you should also include your own Cat6a ethernet cables in the tubes (run 2 per location) for connecting TV boxes or wifi access points to the Hub for peak performance in distant places

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Normal advice is that VM wont pre-run any cabling for you so install smooth wide bore conduit tubing containing pull ropes (strong string - several in each tube!) from the location of the Hub to where you want the VM equipment to be located. The VM Techs will then use the "ropes to pull the correct cables through them and connect everything up.

If the lounge isnt a convenient location - then the VM Hub can be located anywhere - provided it is accessible internally and can be easily connected to the outside "omnibox" with internal cable (another conduit ?)

I think VM can offer a site survey ahead of installation to help avoiding any location issues

Note that you should also include your own Cat6a ethernet cables in the tubes (run 2 per location) for connecting TV boxes or wifi access points to the Hub for peak performance in distant places

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks so much John. Wow that's more complicated than I thought to be honest! Was hoping I could just run a compatible coax cable through the wall. Am I right in thinking that the minibox connects to the back of the main box via coax? Or is it a separate connection all together?

Cheers

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mimiller wrote:

Am I right in thinking that the minibox connects to the back of the main box via coax? Or is it a separate connection all together?

The minibox has a coax connection of its own. Both TV boxes will have a separate connection to your homehub which supports multiroom streaming.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mimiller wrote:

Thanks so much John. Wow that's more complicated than I thought to be honest! Was hoping I could just run a compatible coax cable through the wall. Am I right in thinking that the minibox connects to the back of the main box via coax? Or is it a separate connection all together?

Cheers

The problem you have is that Virgin's coax is purpose made. Becasue of the risk of RF ingress due to frequency sharing, VM techs won't connect coax produced for any other TV platform type that you buy over the counter or online. Claims that some of these cables are suitable for use on Virgin should be taken with a pinch of salt..

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks again. I may have no choice but to let them drill through my new walls, as it sounds like the only way I could get an engineer from VM to attend before the first fix is to subscribe months before I can actually use the service.

One final question if I may - can anyone tell me where the 2 box (main one and mini) coax cables split? Is it inside or outside the property?

Cheers!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mimiller wrote:

Hi all,

I'm considering also adding a minibus in the new bedroom we are building. 

Hi @mimiller 

That's going to be huge bedroom if you can fit a minibus inside roflrofl

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"One final question if I may - can anyone tell me where the 2 box (main one and mini) coax cables split? Is it inside or outside the property?"

Can be various locations, either inside or out.

1) outside, to TV down, TV up, hub.

2) outside to hub and TV up, inside behind hub fit hub an TV.

Lots of other combinations.

Make sure you get the technician to install items where you want them. Some technicians have been known to take the easiest location for them, not the user.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

This post may help.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Moving-splitter-to-new-comms-cabinet/m-p/... 

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

"That's going to be huge bedroom if you can fit a minibus inside"

Haha - yeah I wish!