cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation information

Pete40
Tuning in

I have just signed up for Virgin Media. Could somebody advise me of the procedure up to connection. VM has only been available in the area since December and as far as I know no construction has been carried out so I have no idea where the cabling will come from. 

I would like to know if I have any say as to where the external and internal boxes are sited.

I have spoken to the customer couldn't care less team over another issue and I hope I never have to speak or attempt to speak to them again 

I hope someone out there can give me the information 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sayekm
Fibre optic

If having new cables fitted to your property it maybe best you drill a hole on the wall where you want the cable to enter the property. Get yourself a long 8mm drill from ebay. I drilled the hole on my wall day before and took my time to minimise damage to wall. Be warned these Virgin and Sky engineers will put the drill into "Hammer" mode and blast the hole in 10 sec and you will have a huge blowout as the drill exit on outside wall. I have seen so many post here customers complaint when a chunk of the wall is blown off.

Also if you have a spare single gang wall box it be tidy to use them instead of a new rectangle box Virgin supply. Here is my internal box. The internal metal box is only 25mm deep and added a 10mm exterior spacer so all the cables fit inside.

VM.jfif

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cables usually come from the catv box in the footpath and from there to an outside wall of the house.  If you are in attendance, you can certainly ask to have the box sited where you would like. However, sometimes the physical work of getting to a certain point might not be possible, so alternatives may be needed. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you, I will certainly be here, from what I have read on here I would be stupid not to be around

Client62
Legend

Do you have a "Virgin Media" or a CATV hatch at the boundary of you home, or are you expecting VM to deliver a fibre service from a telegraph pole ?

I assume it will be coming from a telegraph pole there have not been any cables installed in the area. Thank you for your reply

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Almost all VM cables are carried in underground ducts to the borders of premises or directly to premises. In a small number of cases VM will use Openreach's ducts or poles in a VM fibre area.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thank you for your message I think we are one of the small cases where poles will be used as I have been in the house 40 years and no service work has ever been done .My connection date is 7th September do you know roughly when the outside cabling will be done?

sayekm
Fibre optic

If having new cables fitted to your property it maybe best you drill a hole on the wall where you want the cable to enter the property. Get yourself a long 8mm drill from ebay. I drilled the hole on my wall day before and took my time to minimise damage to wall. Be warned these Virgin and Sky engineers will put the drill into "Hammer" mode and blast the hole in 10 sec and you will have a huge blowout as the drill exit on outside wall. I have seen so many post here customers complaint when a chunk of the wall is blown off.

Also if you have a spare single gang wall box it be tidy to use them instead of a new rectangle box Virgin supply. Here is my internal box. The internal metal box is only 25mm deep and added a 10mm exterior spacer so all the cables fit inside.

VM.jfif

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

Hi saykem,

thank you for you information it is very useful to know these sort of things. I am not really looking forward to this part but at least I will be home. 8