cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation help - Renovation Project

simonaustin1986
Joining in

Good evening all, I hope someone from VM can answer my query, I have endured much pain on the phones to no avail..

My wife and I are in the middle of a house renovation of an old 1910 semi that by all accounts has never really had any services running into it, it is however 100% in a VM area and this has been confirmed by checking the postcode. 

Currently the house is stripped out and back to brick inside and out and is being fully refurbished. My question is if we order broadband now which we would like to do will an engineer be able to come out and run the necessary cables into the actual house while the builders have the front garden all dug up, I'm just looking for some clarity on how the setup and installation would work before parting with my money but am struggling to find the answers. 

In essence I would like the cable running into the house so the electricians can wire into a wall box accordingly when they do the first fix in a few weeks time. 

Any help appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If possible cable as if it's a new build, e.g. identify a comms cupboard for the internal termination box with at least two 13A sockets so that the hub and ONT (if in a fibre area) can be powered, with cables (coaxial and cat 6 Ethernet) and wall plates for devices such as a TV box and wireless access point. Draw a map of your proposed network for discussion with your electrician and the VM site surveyor.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there

Best option here is for us to arrange a site survey

This way we will attend your property prior to an installation and run through anything you need to know including cable routing. 

I'll pop over a private message to take some details and assist you with this.

Thanks

Christy 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Thanks so much, super helpful, will await your inbox

If possible cable as if it's a new build, e.g. identify a comms cupboard for the internal termination box with at least two 13A sockets so that the hub and ONT (if in a fibre area) can be powered, with cables (coaxial and cat 6 Ethernet) and wall plates for devices such as a TV box and wireless access point. Draw a map of your proposed network for discussion with your electrician and the VM site surveyor.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks, all noted and will do