Menu
rkaddu
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New installation fiasco

• At the second time of requesting new TV & BB installation some 18 months later, all engineers and service reps are not talking to eachother and I'm the glue trying to stitch up this mess.

I live behind another building of flats (28, 28a) with shared access from the main road to my detached dwelling (28b) and the countless engineer visits have resulted in my cable being pulled to the incorrect tee at 28. What is so sad is that all engineers assume 28b is attached to the same building and so never contact me before starting the external work. The service installer has twice relayed back what needs doing to his manager and even included a video of the route the cable needs to take and despite this info the omnibox was still fitted in the wrong place.

I now have the fifth appointment for another technician to survey and complete the external work. Btw this whole process started since 4-May with my existing deal with EE ending on 8-Jul. With no faith in VM I have commenced 2 separate active BB orders as back up.

My mind boggles as to why such a simple task to arrange for cable to be laid along the path behind a shared gate to my property is proving so difficult to complete.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New installation fiasco

Hey @rkaddu,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your experience here on our forums.

Firstly, I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you've been having trying to get your services installed, this really is not the service we should be providing to any customers.

Have you been advised about any way leave that would be needed for the work to be carried out? I ask this as your notes say that we are waiting for this to be agreed.

Regards,

Steven_L

0 Kudos
rkaddu
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven,

A way leave is needed for the cables to be routing via the adjoining building. The engineer at the last visit left me a way leave to be signed by the landlord and so I requested this through the acting agents and less than 10 minutes later my request was rejected.

The other option is to run the cables either underground (under tarmac) or along a wooden fence before it reaches my property. Each engineer that has been on the site visit has been rather reluctant to explore digging up the path.

Another engineer visit is scheduled on 7-July pm and I am almost certain the VM team will turn up unprepared for the required excavation works hoping for a signed way leave agreement. In the interim, my TV & broadband services are coming to an end on 8-July and so I have been focussing on securing a better deal elsewhere to ensure I maintain service continuity at least from my broadband given some of us continue working from home.

Thanks for reaching out Steven.

Regards

Robert

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I am afraid that the engineers will not dig up any path without the proper permission, standard engineers will not do any engineering works like digging the path up, the wayleave would be required as it crosses somebodies property. You will need to get back to the acting agents and query why it was rejected.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi rkaddu,

As advised by DJ_Shadow1966 we would need permission before we can do any work. 

When did you last speak with the Pre-install team regarding your account?

^Martin

0 Kudos
rkaddu
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Mike,

I found it odd that the landlord rejected my request without reason although they offered for the cabling to be attached to their fence. I will go back and request an explanation for the rejection but as you rightly point out, I still need the way leave agreement signed before any excavation on the shared path can start.

Regards Robert

0 Kudos
rkaddu
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin,

First contact with pre-install team was on Saturday 17th April with an engineer called Mike (I still have his number but he has ignored my messages despite requesting that I remind him). Mike assured me that running the cable along fence/path wouldn't be an issue and also took pics/video footage that he passed on to his manager; Mike mentioned that they would deal with the paperwork needed to complete the task.

Last week, I raised a home visit with VM and I am expecting a call today to discuss next steps. From my standpoint, if VM find it difficult to provide services to my property they should just be honest and say no so I can move on instead of me having to repeatedly point out there is no point sending service engineers every other week to complete the internal works when there is no omnibox connected to the property.

Situation is not helped by the service reps at the end of the phone line that just read notes from a PC screen and dispute my views even though as the customer I am describing the physical problem which they do not seem to fathom.

I am but mad north-northwest. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.

Kind Regards

Robert

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that information. At this point we would need to wait for wayleave approval. 

One you have that the Pre-install team should be able to look into this further. 

^Martin

0 Kudos