Menu
GeorgeP94
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New install - Running cable through neighbours garden.

Hi,

Sorry if this is a bit of a long one. I've been trying to get Virgin Media installed at my house for a while now, I've actually placed 4 orders over the past 5 years and each time the engineer turns up and basically says he cannot install it. I live in a small gated community of 4 houses and 6 flats. The Virgin Media cable access point is in the main road just to the side of the gates. There is only one property between my house and the main road where the VM access point is and there is a really easy route through my neighbours garden to my property for the cable.

I've spoken to my neighbour about it and they are more than happy to have the cable go through their garden as they are also looking to switch to VM and will need to have their cable go through the garden as well.

On my most recent attempt to get it installed (Nov 2020) I had a pre-install engineer visit. He looked at my proposed cable route and I explained my neighbour is ok with it but he insisted VM will instead install new ducting to each property in my community and that someone from the planning team will get in touch early January. Well that didn't happen. He also cancelled my order. 

I've tried contacting the planning team but they said they cannot help and that instead I need to place a new order again but this just feels like I'm going in circles. Plus I don't want another unnecessary credit check etc.

Getting VM installed would be hugely helpful as currently the best service we get through the Openreach network is 8Mb down and 0.7Mb up which is really difficult when there are 2 people who will now be working from home full time and are currently really struggling with this. 

Is there someone I can talk to regarding this? I'm willing to pay additional install charges if ducting needs to be run to my property. Calling the customer care team is just a waste of time as I've tried that before. They never understand the issue and just tell me to place an order and arrange a pre-install visit, and then it goes full circle.

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New install - Running cable through neighbours garden.

Hi,

I am happy to take a look for you. I will send you a private message for the address and go from there.

thanks

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
GeorgeP94
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jon, I've just replied to the private message.

0 Kudos
GeorgeP94
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just wanted to update this thread to say how helpful Jon has been. I got Virgin Media installed at my house on Saturday after Jon helped me with getting a new duct installed. I have been trying for years to get this installed through VM customer support but after posting here Jon was able to help immediately.

Thank you very much Jon! You're a life saver 🙂

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi GeorgeP94,

Thank you for those kind words. 

I have passed them on to Jon. 

^Martin

0 Kudos