cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install - My Virgin Media doesn't work

the_beast
Joining in

I signed up for a new install (never had cable at this address) last week - I've installed the My Virgin Media app, but it just says "it'll be set up in 48 hours" but has said that for a week now.  I can select "view appointments" or similar but it doesn't show any info.  If I log in on the website I just get a message saying something has gone wrong.

Has something got stuck somewhere?  What do I need to do to get it sorted out?  I can't for the life of me find any way to contact Virgin to sort it out, so I'm hoping here will get some response.  Not looking forward to the next 18 months if this is an indicator of things to come though...

I also need to move my engineer appointment as (booked for 19th November I think) but I can't see any way of doing that either. I'm keen to get that booked in as soon as possible though so I don't have to wait too long to get up and running.

9 REPLIES 9

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If there has been no previous Virgin cable to the property, that will have to be put in by a subcontractor before the technician can come to install the equipment inside.

The installation date you have been given will only be valid if the outside work has been first, and unfortunately that is very difficult to check due to Virgin's lax process. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

the_beast
Joining in

another 48 hours and My Virgin Media (both the app and the website) are still useless and no replies from Virgin here.

Starting to think this was a mistake and I should stick with my current provider.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @the_beast 

You could try calling the pre-installs team on 0800 052 1734.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi the_beast, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. it's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with the My VM account. Unless your services are already installed, only a small amount of information would show. Sometimes not being installed also hinders the online account from being set up. 

Until the services are installed, we're not able to raise it either I'm afraid. 

Is there any specific information you are trying to find out? If so let us know and we can help in the meantime. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

thanks for getting back to me.

I need to know when the cabling will be done to my property (as we haven't got a cable up to the house) so that I can make sure I'm in when they do it.  I also need confirm the date that my phone number will transfer from TalkTalk to Virgin too, as they're chasing me for a confirmation.  But as I've herard nothing from Virgin I can't risk closing down my current service before I have confidence that Virgin will actually get installled on time - both my wife and I work from home so need no break in our connectivity. 

And finally I may need to move my engineer visit - either because the cabling works won't be done in time, or because I may not be able to be in for the appointment I have now.

Can you confirm how I'm supposed to deal with Virgin though?  Everything online suggests it should be through My Virgin Media, which is fine, but that doesn't work for new customers who aren't connected yet.  So what am I supposed to do, as posting in a forum and waiting a week doesn't seem like customer service...

any update as to whether you can help me?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are transferring your phone number there should not be any cancellation request with your current provider. Virgin must handle the cancellation. The only thing you should put in a cancellation for yourself is TV, as your Broadband will cease when the number is transferred. Any cancellation request put in directly by you could result in the number port failing.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @the_beast,

Welcome back to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you are having issues when trying to get in contact with our team regarding your queries. Our pre-installation team on 0800 052 1734 can best answer any cabling queries. They can also reschedule the appointment if necessary.

As mentioned by @nodrogd, we would not advise you to cancel your landline port as we will need both the new and the old lines to remain active until the port is complete. https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/keep-my-number

Is there anything else I can help with?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

thanks everyone

Just to confirm, I haven't approached my current supplier to cancel anything, but they've called me to confirm that I'd requested the transfer.  All I've said to them at this stage is that I can't confirm anything as I don't know the timescales that Virgin are working to.

The install team did call me earlier this week to push back my engineer visit by 2 weeks as they haven't completed the external works yet though.  Yet they can't give me any indication when the cable will be installed, nor confirm that my appointment won't be moved again.

If I can't get Virgin installed and running by Christmas after ordering in October then I'll have to look elsewhere.