cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - cable installation

mint_sauce
On our wavelength

Hi,

I'm a new customer and the first engineers came around today to install the cable from the road to the house.

They were going to install a box on the front of the house but I mentioned the living room is on the other side of the house so they said they'd not install the box but leave extra cable for the next installer to take it around the back of the house and install.

The engineers left and I checked the coil and it's not going to be long enough to reach the living room, they didn't check to see how far away the living room is but I assume that the next engineer will be able to extend it without any degradation in signal?

Overall they did an ok job, cutting diagonally across my lawn rather than going around the edge (they mentioned tree roots being a problem) is a bit of a mess with earth and boot prints on it where they've tried to stamp it down. I guess after mowing and re-seeding there's no real long-term issues there but felt it could have been a bit neater. Also, chucking a cigarette butt next to my front door was classy plus they didn't mention they were leaving so I popped my head out to see how they were getting on and they'd left at some point which is a shame as it would have given me a chance to see the install before they left and talk with them about the length.

I'm just hoping that it's no issue the cable left is too short.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

In the first part of a typical installation, the cable from the street to your house is installed which is what you have had done so far. In part two, a VM technician will fit an external junction box (an 'omnibox') on the outside wall of your house, typically on the front wall. From there s/he will install more cable to where you want the equipment fitting inside. Worth noting that the location you choose for the VM hub inside will have some influence on how well the wi-fi signal propagates through your home.

As for the performance of the installers, sounds like they have done what needed to be done as required. They are generally sub-contractors to VM and are on very limited time schedules to complete each job and move on to the next one.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

In the first part of a typical installation, the cable from the street to your house is installed which is what you have had done so far. In part two, a VM technician will fit an external junction box (an 'omnibox') on the outside wall of your house, typically on the front wall. From there s/he will install more cable to where you want the equipment fitting inside. Worth noting that the location you choose for the VM hub inside will have some influence on how well the wi-fi signal propagates through your home.

As for the performance of the installers, sounds like they have done what needed to be done as required. They are generally sub-contractors to VM and are on very limited time schedules to complete each job and move on to the next one.

mint_sauce
On our wavelength

Thanks for your reply. In that case it should be ok with the cable and the install job was fine, I guess after watching the Virgin Media happy perfect world cartoon install videos you expect something a little different but overall, job done.

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi mint_sauce,

Welcome to the Community Forums! Thanks for your first post.

I am sorry to hear that you aren't too happy with how the pre installation went, I can appreciate your frustrations. However as goslow has advised, it does sound like everything which was required has been carried out.

If you need any further help from here or would like us to raise a complaint for how the installation went, do let us know and we can help with that.

Kind regards

Beth

Beth