cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer Pre installation connection

chrisf1962
On our wavelength

Hi I'm a new customer and my house has never had any cable connection before (previously was with BT with broadband running over old copper phone wires). So engineers will be required for the install which is booked for later this month.

I know some of my neighbours have Virgin media connections and the postcode checker stated that full services were available at my address, however, I've looked in the street and I can't find a service tee outside my house. The pavement was re surfaced over 10 years ago and I can't see why they would tarmac over the tee it it was there. Is this going to cause an issue?

Also I need the brown external connection box to be cabled down the side of the house rather than at the front. Do the engineers get in contact to agree the siting?

Cheers

Chris

38 REPLIES 38

wheres this post? want to see your speeds etc 😛

glad its all setup and working!

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

chrisf1962
On our wavelength

David,

Thanks I was going to try and give them a call to ask the pull team to contact me but I don't think I'll bother and hope I'm in when they come. Did they fit the brown box to your house or is it the final engineer that does this when they make the broadband connection?

Cheers

Chris

No brown box as the cable is ducted into my cellar where the comms cabinet is, the pull team aren't allowed to fix anything internally and said the installation engineer will do it, mind you the guy was scared of spiders and wanted out ASAP so would say anything. 

David,

Thanks, it'd be better for me if the brown box (if I have to have one) was on the side of my house rather than the front which is why I really like to have a word with the pull team. I like the sound of the cable being ducted straight in as I have a suspended wood floor and I'm hoping that I can get the cable through a convenient air brick (like I did with the TV aerial) rather than drill through the wall. 

All the best

Chris

Chris, Guess what VM sent me today, a shiny new apprentice to do the install, he was so keen and did a cracking job, even left me his phone number in case I have any problems.

VM speed 1.jpg

David,

Brilliant news. Glad it all went well. I'm still waiting for the pre pull team to arrive, hopefully over the next couple of days.

Cheers

Chris 

IMG_20230517_172901412.jpg

David,

Well, well well, look what I have now. I'd only just replied to you when I found two engineers outside starting to do the final pull. After showing them where I'd put a conduit under the path ready for the cable and telling them where I needed the connection box this is what I've been left with. Roll on Tuesday now for the final installation.

All the best

Chris

drodgers
Dialled in

Good luck for tomorrow, although I found the engineer bit the most pleasant dealings with VM, a month after logging a complaint I got a call today from VM, surprisingly on the phone plugged into the VM hub, we didnt think it was live as our phone number doesnt transfer for another week. VM have allocated me a number but won't tell me what it is because of GDPR, I think they will find if it's my phone number I'm allowed to know it. The reason for the call was to offer pathetic compensation of £40 rather than the OFCOM rate, they even sent me an email saying compensation is £5-25 per day when the rate is now £5-83 so couldnt even get that right. I wonder how many times they get away with not paying full compensation due, so do your sums before they call.

David,

Thanks, I'm hoping it should all go OK now as I've done most of the hard work for them. I've already run a pull wire from outside the house through an air brick, under the floorboards and up behind the skirting board where I need the indoor socket to go. So all it needs is the engineer to attach their cable to the wire and pull it through ready for the final connection. 

We'll see what happens tomorrow

Cheers

Chris